What's new

Data Usage App

bellefso

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in finding an app that monitors data usage for my iPad/iPhone. The catch is that I only want to monitor usage when connected to a certain SSID. I have a mobile hotspot and that is the only time I care to monitor the actual data usage. At work/home I don't care how much wifi data is used. Are there any apps that let you do this? The ones I have found usually only monitor all wifi and all cellular data usage.

Thanks

It's built in.

Go to Settings, General Settings, Usage and then to Cellular Usage. That will tell you all you need to know. Unless you are looking for Wifi usage also, that I have no idea about.

It's built in.

Go to Settings, General Settings, Usage and then to Cellular Usage. That will tell you all you need to know. Unless you are looking for Wifi usage also, that I have no idea about.

My iPad is wifi only and on my phone I only care if I use it to talk to my mobile hotspot. This is why I need something that only monitors usage for certain SSID's(wifi networks) and not others. So when I am at home...don't care about wifi usage, when at work...don't care about wifi usage. When running around and using my mobile hotspot...I do care about usage since that is a limited bandwidth account.

Thanks

You can track the total usage through the settings. Here is a snap shot. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340335812.948604.jpg

You can track the total usage through the settings. Here is a snap shot.View attachment 7265

Tracking total is not an issue, there seem to be dozens of apps that do that. I guess it doesn't really help me though, I see I used 20 GB of wifi traffic but if only 500 MB of that was on the mobile hotspot I want to be able to see that. I have unlimited 3G/4G data on my iphone, no 3G/4G on my ipad. I have 2GB limit on my hotspot. I just want to know the amount of data sent ONLY to the hotspot, which has a specific wireless SSID. Maybe the iOS limitations don't allow this breakdown, or maybe I am the only one who uses a mobile hotspot and cares about overages.

Even an app that broke down usage on the wifi side to list data sent to each SSID would be better than total wifi usage for the month since the vast majority of my wifi is on 'unlimited' networks like work/home.

Maybe reset the stats before you use your hotspot as a work around?

Sent from my themed and tweaked iPhone 4

Maybe reset the stats before you use your hotspot as a work around?

Sent from my themed and tweaked iPhone 4

Then I would need to manually track it each time to add them up, at that point I might as well just go through the effort to log in to the provider's website and look at my usage there.