What's new

Damaged IP4 battery drain issues

asf259

Reaction score
Last week I lost my IP in town somewhere and today was pleasantly surprised to receive a package at college with it in, I guess the label on the back with my name and college address helped. There was a note saying they found it outside a pub...somewhere where I've never been. Regardless, when I opened the package the IP4 looked like it was attacked by a bear. The screen smashed, the speaker area on the right of the front camera exposed and someone clearly tried prying the back cover off.

It wouldn't turn on, I hoped it was out of juice so plugged it in. It showed the battery icon with three red lines. No matter how long I left it on charge, it would be the same icon with no charge progress, or a black screen with white apple logo. However, it did let me enter DFU mode, so I restored it with 7.0.3. When it loaded, it showed the battery was 100%.

The smashed digitizer still worked, so I was able to use it, make calls, get emails, hook onto WiFi, checked the camera etc. I left it for a couple of hours and came back to find it had switched off. Plugging it in was the same story: battery logo with 3 red lines, and black background+white apple logo if I press the power button.

When the first restore worked, I was going to get a new LCD+digitizer and a backplate and fix it myself, but now it looks like there's something bigger at play.

I don't know if it was exposed to water, as I read some threads about water-damaged phones taking a long time to charge and discharging very quickly.

From your experience, could there be anything else causing this? Is it worthwhile persevering and trying to fix it? If so, what next steps should I take?

TiA

Last edited:
Okay, so right now it spent half an hour plugged in with the battery icon with three red lines, then powered up by itself to say 100% battery charge. Then within minutes of disconnecting, it turned back off again to show the empty battery icon.

Need a new battery, or is it the ribbon connecting it?

Last edited:
It's most likely doused with water. I'd leave it to dry for a few days before fully exploring the extent of the damage and usability of the device.

It's most likely doused with water. I'd leave it to dry for a few days before fully exploring the extent of the damage and usability of the device.

Thanks for your help. Hope I haven't done any further damage by playing around with it thus far. Put it in some rice then?

To be honest, I don't think it matters at this point. Rice is the most effective when the device is placed immediately in it after submersion. You can, but it wouldn't make a big difference since it's already been a week.

To be honest, I don't think it matters at this point. Rice is the most effective when the device is placed immediately in it after submersion. You can, but it wouldn't make a big difference since it's already been a week.

Thanks very much. I'll leave it for a few days and try again, while holding off buying a new LCD+digitizer and backplate.

If they tried forcing the rear chassis out and it's cracked and probably purposefully abused, you'd probably need to order a new set unless you want to run the risk of possibly cutting your self and procuring tetanus. Who knows where it's been dropped and what's going on on the surface. Better safe than sorry.

I don't understand whoever picked it up first was trying to get at...I guess being found outside a pub speaks volumes.
Thanks for the tip, I'll scrounge around on eBay.

If anything, go for something a bit more budget friendly as a backup.

Oh yes, I've gone back to one of my trustworthy Nokias for the meantime.

Unfortunately it looks like more bad news for my IP4. Took it back out and tried charging it up, but this time it just won't turn on. ITunes detected it was in recovery mode, did a restore but it only shows the battery icon with three red bars. Sometimes it shows the black screen with apple logo, but then reverts back to the battery icon. Kept it plugged in for about 6 hours.

Any advice on what to take apart next?

I think I've ruled out water damage...the headphone socket, charging port, battery and logic board water damage indicators are all white.

Do I try a new battery or a new charging port next?