What's new

Cydia on android

Happy for Android users?

I'm happy with it on my iPhone, so I can imagine it'll be good on Android. Although I really don't know much about it, I understand it makes it easier for developers to code, now. So, yay.

Guess we can now be one big community. :)

Marilyn

Seems pointless to me. Jailbreaking has existed on Android devices since 2008 and there are already equivalents for most iPhone jailbreak tweaks available for Android devices. Maybe Saurik is preparing for the downfall of the iPhone?

Seems pointless to me. Jailbreaking has existed on Android devices since 2008 and there are already equivalents for most iPhone jailbreak tweaks available for Android devices. Maybe Saurik is preparing for the downfall of the iPhone?

That's what I was thinking :(

Saurik is realizing the inevitable. Unless Apple develops something revolutionary, I dont see Apple competing with Samsung on the jailbreaking/rooting (Android Version of Jailbreak) scale.

Jailbreaking coming to android devices!

What does everyone feel about this?
You do not need any jailbreak on Android. On android device go to Settings/Security and check "Unknown sources". Once you do that you can side load applications, music, books etc. from other sources than Google Play Store.

Saurik is realizing the inevitable. Unless Apple develops something revolutionary, I dont see Apple competing with Samsung on the jailbreaking/rooting (Android Version of Jailbreak) scale.
Ivziggy,
Jailbreak is different than rooting. Jailbreak is to be able to install from other sources that Play Stare for Android and Apple Store for iDevices. Rooting on Android is to become master of the OS/devise without any restrictions, it is referred to as "root" user under UNIX and Lynux OS`s. BTW both Android and iOS are based on Lynux.

Jailbreaking is essentially the same thing as rooting, "jailbreaking" is just the term used in the iOS and Playstation world for gaining root access to the filesystem(I'm assuming because GeoHot was the first to jailbreak both iOS and PS3 so he decided to call it jailbreaking). It is true that you can install unsigned apps through Android without rooting, but you would still need to root in order for 3rd party apps to access the system files(such as this Winterboard port).

Last edited:
Jailbreaking is essentially the same thing as rooting, "jailbreaking" is just the term used in the iOS and Playstation world for gaining root access to the filesystem(I'm assuming because GeoHot was the first to jailbreak both iOS and PS3 so he decided to call it jailbreaking). It is true that you can install unsigned apps through Android without rooting, but you would still need to root in order for 3rd party apps to access the system files(such as this Winterboard port).

I think, that we are talking about the same thing, just that semantics/verbiage are a little bit different for iOS and Android. I have jail-broken and unlocked iPhone and it works great but it still does not have your usual Linux/UNIX directory structure. The good think is that with Cydia you can get console emulation which will get you to cshell prompt at which point you ARE the master/root. I used it, and if you know what you are doing, you can do some nice things with iPhone. Thanks and BTW great post.

Jailbreaking is essentially the same thing as rooting, "jailbreaking" is just the term used in the iOS and Playstation world for gaining root access to the filesystem(I'm assuming because GeoHot was the first to jailbreak both iOS and PS3 so he decided to call it jailbreaking). It is true that you can install unsigned apps through Android without rooting, <span style="color:#ff0000;">but you would still need to root in order for 3rd party apps to access the system files</span>(such as this Winterboard port).
<br><br>I think, that we are talking about the same thing, just that semantics/verbiage are a little bit different for iOS and Android. I have jail-broken and unlocked iPhone and it works great but it still does not have your usual Linux/UNIX directory structure. The good think is that with Cydia you can get console emulation which will get you to cshell prompt at which point you ARE the master/root. I used it, and if you know what you are doing, you can do some nice things with iPhone. Thanks and BTW great post.