What's new

Consumer Reports denies iPhone 4 recommendation, due to antenna issue

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2guiky0.jpg

After playing with the iPhone 4 for quite some time now, Consumer Reports has made its final decision, that it has refused to stamp the iPhone 4 with their "recommendation rating." Their main reason behind the denial being the antenna issue, at which Steve Jobs flippantly poked fun in recent e-mails. Not much fun anymore, eh Apple? Consumer Reports had been extremely kind to Apple's products in the past; in my opinion, they tended to blindly recommend the predecessors to the iPhone 4, as well as MacBooks, iMacs and other Apple products.

2kfrmc.jpg

Consumer Reports steered blame away from AT&T for the shoddy reception issues, blaming it solely on the device itself. And to add fuel to the fire, the engineers at CR remained skeptical about recent reports stating that the loss of bars is a software issue, and that reception is actually uninterrupted. The report goes into depth on how these conclusions came about:

“We reached this conclusion after testing all three of our iPhone 4s (purchased at three separate retailers in the New York area) in the controlled environment of CU’s radio frequency (RF) isolation chamber. In this room, which is impervious to outside radio signals, our test engineers connected the phones to our base-station emulator, a device that simulates carrier cell towers. We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.” Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports also noted in their iPhone 4 report that there is a DIY solution to the antenna issue. It may not be the most glamorous solution, but at least it involves the geek's favorite tool, duct tape:

2dc7rl4.jpg

Cover the antenna gap with a piece of duct tape or another thick, non-conductive material. It may not be pretty, but it works. We also expect that using a case would remedy the problem. We'll test a few cases this week and report back.
Check out Consumer Reports' video on the antenna issues here.

via SlashGear
Source Consumer Reports Blog

Interesting :) the last time I read CR was in the 90's..... Not a big fan. But to each his own!

Although Consumer Reports may seem outdated to many of us, a lot of the older generation treats Consumer Reports' magazines like the gospel.

I think it's fair tbh. They pride themselves on design yet overlook this. Still this is the first apple product I have owned and I love it.

I think the way Apple has handled the antenna issue has been a bigger problem than the issue itself. My husband was able to recreate this problem in our house by "holding it wrong". We called his Mom then while she was on the line he held the antenna wrong and we watched as the bars slowly disappeared and then the call dropped. We aren't too worried since we both ordered cases, but it's still a pretty big problem and it seems kind of like Apple treated it's customers with disrespect when faced with criticism (whether the e-mails attributed to Steve Jobs were real or not).

Apple makes a quality product in most respects, but everything about them and their stores/service/products is condecending to their customers. Steve Jobs is an arrogant control freak who gives the masses what HE wants them to have, not what they are asking for. If he actually put the features in the iphone that everyone wanted (simple things that are completely possible and included in other smartphones) there would be NO competition.

I'm older than many of you and I don't really put a lot of stock in reports. I generally think many of them are in bed with some product or another. I get the best feedback from friends, associates and others.
I've had all the latest phones for years. If it's new, I want it. I think back when I had the HTC Touch Pro. Nice phone. Had to re-boot it everyday or so. Not many people complained about dropped calls or service or the operating system. BUT, only a few thousand were sold. Apple has sold a ton of iPhones. So, if you think there might be 5% of the people who don't like them, that's about 100,000 problems. Using the same numbers, HTC's problems had about 5,000 complaints.
It almost sounds like all the complaints are from people who have never used Windows or Windows phones.

Consumer Reports: free iPhone Bumper isn’t good enough - SlashGear

Consumer Reports Response to Free Bumpers:

“Consumer Reports believes Apple’s offer of free cases is a good first step. However, Apple has indicated that this is not a long-term solution, it has guaranteed the offer only through September 30th, and has not extended it unequivocally to customers who bought cases from third-party vendors. We look forward to a long-term fix from Apple. As things currently stand, the iPhone 4 is still not one of our Recommended models.” Consumer Reports

why does some one not try with another carrier so they can see if it is atee and tee or apple for those who actually have the issue

I'm one of the old guys who have always bought products consumer reports have issues with, but i have always been happy with my decisions. I research and listen to others and base my decision on the features i want and my instincts. Same with the ip4. Could have cancelled my order with all the rackets flying around, but i'm glad i didn't. The ip4 puts a smile on my face when i switched it on every morning.

No-one has come up with a definitive reason for WHY some people are left-handed, but about 13% of the population around the world are,left-handed

appel :suggesting that only a minor portion of users were troubled by the iPhone 4 flawed antenna design.

how many left-handed user of them have purchased a iphone 4

gsmarena.com
Obviously only about 0.5 percent of all customers complained directly to Apple about reception issues.

again how many left-handed user

1 but about 13% of the population around the world are,left-handed
2 Obviously only about 0.5 percent of all customers complained
3 how many left-handed user of them have purchased a iphone 4

I think the way Apple has handled the antenna issue has been a bigger problem than the issue itself. My husband was able to recreate this problem in our house by "holding it wrong". We called his Mom then while she was on the line he held the antenna wrong and we watched as the bars slowly disappeared and then the call dropped. We aren't too worried since we both ordered cases, but it's still a pretty big problem and it seems kind of like Apple treated it's customers with disrespect when faced with criticism (whether the e-mails attributed to Steve Jobs were real or not).

Apple makes a quality product in most respects, but everything about them and their stores/service/products is condecending to their customers. Steve Jobs is an arrogant control freak who gives the masses what HE wants them to have, not what they are asking for. If he actually put the features in the iphone that everyone wanted (simple things that are completely possible and included in other smartphones) there would be NO competition.

It's fantastic that you respond like you have but frankly you must look at the total picture Apple as company makes superior products I don't agree that Apple treated customers with disrespect. The customers i know world wide are more than happy with their iPhone 4 both in us -and europe not to mention millions of users world wide I gather you have not used apple products and iTunes to appreciate what really is available Please respond to this.
Apple has 75% of the digital market world wide that is not because steve is a control freak it is because users love the ability to purchase not only music but some 200,000 apps on line plus movies etc etc and most importantly they love what Apple provides.
In the past 2 years where i am employed we use to sell MPS players about 40 per month. Now I have not sold an MPS player in 3 months
iPods sell out both iPod nano and iPod touch at a rate of 50 per week and this is in Australia in a retail store ok
Regardless of what you think or say what Apple has provided with iTunes is what the masses want they love it. If in fact you do not I would love to know what you really are wanting.
If you in fact disagree go to the alternative MP3 option or phone option.
In summary tell us what the masses want in phones and please please don't mention flash.

You have 2 choices accept what Apple provides or buy an alternative product it's that simple....
Te

That's what i've been telling everyone..."Go with apple/iphone, or SETTLE for the alternative." I always ask others how their music player experience is compared to iTunes. 100% of them say it's ok. I'm not cool with that. iTunes is the standard. Even after years for other companies to catch up.