What's new

Computer crashed that our 3 iPhones are backed up on.

JennieR

Reaction score
We live in a rural area and there was a wreck yesterday and a vehicle ran into a power line. Our power went out for an undetermined amount of time. When mu husband got home from work he noticed it and went to check on things. Our computer was fried. Now my problem...That's the computer that my iPad and our 3 iPhones are backed up on. What do we do now? Can we just plug them up a new one if and when we get one?

I'm trying to find this out. I'm syncd on a Pc but switching to Mac. I just want to change which computer it is syncd too without erasing the phone.

Sorry to hear about you computer Just a couple of questions. Did you have a backup of the computer? Have you been using iCloud at all?

First the data is on the hard drive even though the computer was hit it is possible the actual drive may be ok. You will not know until it is removed from the computer and placed in an external caddy and tested. If it is ok then all your music etc will be able to be transferred back to the new computer.

Failing that you can restore what is on your devices back to a new PC? If you are concerned about how or need assistance just ask. We have many members and staff whom are experienced at restoring data .

When you purchase a new computer buy a high quality surge protector not a cheap one as in most cases it will protect the computer in event of a surge. Also purchase one or 2 backup hard drives so you can restore everything with put dramas.....

Best of luck. Colin

There are multiple programs to transfer all the data (music, apps, contacts, photos) from your iPhone directly to your new laptop or computer.

There are multiple programs to transfer all the data (music, apps, contacts, photos) from your iPhone directly to your new laptop or computer.

My favorite being iExplorer since the UI is pretty simple and really easy to use. iFunBox works as well but I'm not that big a fan.

... a wreck yesterday and a vehicle ran into a power line. .. Our computer was fried.
It can create too many possible anomalies. No one solution exists for all possible anomalies. But most anomalies that harm a computer typically only harm one tiny internal part. For example, I recently fixed a Canon multi-function printer/scanner/fax. The entire damage was one 4mm by 4 mm part. Hardest part is holding that part in place while soldering. Hands shake too much.

In your case, protection from most anomalies already exists inside a Mac's power supply. Did the anomaly overwhelm that protection? No problem. I replace the one part. Most techs cannot do that. Tech will swap out a power supply or something just as simple. Depends on which anomaly did damage.

Was that computer plugged into a protector. Sometimes that protector bypasses protection inside the supply. Connects a destructive transient into a motherboard. But again, damage is typically one tiny part. Often where that transient current exited (ie on a modem, NIC, USB device, etc).

Nobody can suggest a solution on such scanty information. Best is to take it to a shop where someone will see the failure before recommending a solution. You have almost zero reasons to believe the entire Mac is fried. That fear is mostly found when solutons are recommened without first identifying the defect. If the shop says everything if fried, then get another shop.

Now, if car and pole created a typical destructive anomaly, then today it was a computer. Tomorrow, maybe a dish washer. If you do not earth the resulting current before it entered your building, then all appliances are at risk. Next anomaly may select something different - like the furnace. Learn from this 'canary in a coalmine'. Next time may be more serious because you did not install a superior solution that costs about $1 per protected appliance.

Not only get the Mac fixed. Also address typical reasons for an anomaly that overwhelmed a Mac's existing protection.

We took the computer to a local guy that works on them and he put on a new power supply. It works now. The only thing that isn't the same is the USB ports on the front of the computer don't work. We have to use the ones on the back. But all of our iTunes info was on there. We do backup our pictures to another hard drive.
Thank you guys for all of your help and the information.

JennieR said:
We took the computer to a local guy that works on them and he put on a new power supply. It works now. The only thing that isn't the same is the USB ports on the front of the computer don't work. We have to use the ones on the back. But all of our iTunes info was on there. We do backup our pictures to another hard drive.
Thank you guys for all of your help and the information.

Sounds like the repair guy forgot to reattach the cable for the front mounted USB ports to the motherboard. You could return it to him for a fix

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net