What's new

Transferring Back Up to new comp and instal?

ammonation

Reaction score
Hey guys. Have to transfer my iphone back up from one computer to the next.

After a hard time getting my latest back up on disk, I got it.

Now my question is, how in itunes when I am going to sync to the new computer, how do I get itunes to load from that file?

I checked and there is no mobile sync or back up folder at all on the new comp, and itunes is installed.

If you sure that you load the backup in the right folder then itunes should be able to locate it.
Connect your phone to your computer and open itunes. After itunes read your phone, you will see it in the left panel in itunes, make a right click on you iphone name, in the drop list select "restore backup" the backup window will open, navigate there to select your backup and clic restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you sure that you load the backup in the right folder then itunes should be able to locate it.
Connect your phone to your computer and open itunes. After itunes read your phone, you will see it in the left panel in itunes, make a right click on you iphone name, in the drop list select "restore backup" the backup window will open, navigate there to select your backup and clic restore.

Well thats the problem. When I click restore, itunes will be looking for the back up (currently on disk). Where do I place the back up on the new computer so itunes can find it? I would put it in the mobilesync/backup folder, but it doesn't exist on the new computer.

Well thats the problem. When I click restore, itunes will be looking for the back up (currently on disk). Where do I place the back up on the new computer so itunes can find it? I would put it in the mobilesync/backup folder, but it doesn't exist on the new computer.

Ok i will call you desired back up "A" and the one you will make soon "Z"

1.) copy backup A to your desktop
2.) connect your phone to your computer and create a new backup Z which you can name whatever you want to be able to know it amount other.
3. Try to restore but don't, the backup Z. This is just to check if it's your itunes or the phone. Use the procedure i mentioned in my previous post to try to restore, when the window will popup, check to see if you are able to locate backup Z in the list.
4.) if yes, then copy back to the itunes backup folder in you c: the backup A, while droping backup A in that backup folder make sure that you can see backup Z in there.
5.) restart your computer and try to restore you backup now using the same method, chose backup A from the list of available backups. In case you do not see your backup A then it means that it's missing some informations and itunes is not reading it.

Ok i will call you desired back up "A" and the one you will make soon "Z"

1.) copy backup A to your desktop
2.) connect your phone to your computer and create a new backup Z which you can name whatever you want to be able to know it amount other.
3. Try to restore but don't, the backup Z. This is just to check if it's your itunes or the phone. Use the procedure i mentioned in my previous post to try to restore, when the window will popup, check to see if you are able to locate backup Z in the list.
4.) if yes, then copy back to the itunes backup folder in you c: the backup A, while droping backup A in that backup folder make sure that you can see backup Z in there.
5.) restart your computer and try to restore you backup now using the same method, chose backup A from the list of available backups. In case you do not see your backup A then it means that it's missing some informations and itunes is not reading it.

Okay did all that. Moved the file into the folder, have a new problem.

None of my contacts/apps/photos ect were included in the back up. So I went back to my old comp, restored everything. How do I get apps/contacts/text/photos/everything into a back up to move to a new comp?

Strange, how comes and a backup made from itunes did not include your contacts, sms, etc... What was finally in that backup i called A???
But so far as you are having the hole old backup on another computer, restore it to your phone and then connect your phone to your new computer and perform a backup of your files on your new computer then. That way all your contacts and other personal files will still be in your phone. As for the apps, and musics etc... I think you will first need to login with your itunes account and authorise your computer, and then download one by one your applications.

Backup A and backup Z are basically the same, except back up 7 doesn't have my photo library, but DOES HAVE my camera roll...

Neither have my apps, thinking maybe I didn't have them checked off properly for backup A?

Backup A and backup Z are basically the same, except back up 7 doesn't have my photo library, but DOES HAVE my camera roll...

Neither have my apps, thinking maybe I didn't have them checked off properly for backup A?

I see. So you have no other option other than installing all your apps manually again. And you can add extra albums photos via itunes as well as songs etc...

I see. So you have no other option other than installing all your apps manually again. And you can add extra albums photos via itunes as well as songs etc...

If I have the apps on my phone still why can't I put them onto a new computer?

Yes you can do that no problem. I though you didn't have the apps on your phone yet.

MalwareBAB

Yes you can do that no problem. I though you didn't have the apps on your phone yet.

MalwareBAB

Can you give an idiots walk thru for that process?

MalwareBAB

Can you give an idiots walk thru for that process?

Just log in your itunes using your account, authorise your itunes to allow apps from the itunes settings. sync your phone to your itunes and your apps on your phone will be sync to your itunes.