What's new

check this out... am i a genius??

m8r8j

Reaction score
alright with the release of ios5 everyone probably already knows about the whole keyboard shortcut thing...

many of you might not know about the emoji for smiley faces etc. (settings>general>keyboard>international
keyboard>add new keyboard>emoji

but i had a brainstorm thinking about linking the two together and then disabling the emoji keyboard... AND IT WORKED

so every time i put a :) now it comes up as an emoji face like 😊

i couldnt find anyone online who has done this yet so i figured id toss up a post

you activate the emoji keyboard

then go into general settings and keyboard

shortcuts

add a new shortcut, for shortcut put the standard colon and close parenthesis (or whatever you use for a smiley face)

and for phrase press the "switch keyboard button" and put a emoji smiley and press save

add all the smileys you want for various keyboard symbols, and when your done go back into international keyboards and disable the emoji keyboard and it will get rid of the ugly button on the keyboard but you will still be able to add emoji smileys from the shortcuts youve added

eddieg said:
The only difference i see is that one symbol next to the space bar or am i missing something?

That's how the emoji/any other keyboard works. Just tap the captain planet globe next to the space bar

That's how the emoji/any other keyboard works. Just tap the captain planet globe next to the space bar

Yeah i know thats how it works but i dont get why the OP is doing it that way when you could just leave the emoji set.

eddieg said:
Yeah i know thats how it works but i dont get why the OP is doing it that way when you could just leave the emoji set.

I agreed to your previous post. I don't know why he wants to do it that way either. Makes no sense if you ask me.

I personally don't like having more than 1 keyboard enabled so it makes sense to me