What's new

Just got my iphone4--so i got a lot of stupid questions

Voidchaser

Reaction score
I'll figure it out as I go along, like spazzing when I couldn't add multiple email accounts easily with a single button until I figured out to go back into settings--I'm just too used to a Droid I guess but I'll catch on. Some basic crap I wanted to do was if I'm on my PC is there some program or app that'll let me send & receive texts on my PC so I can read/write back faster via keyboard vs stopping to pick up the phone n read it instead of some like instant message type window just popping up? That's always been something I wanted to make my life easier, especially as a geeky MMO game player. I like to listen to music when I play so having the phone work hands free--reading me the text and than talk to text feature (which I don't know if this even has standard)--would also be a little awkward...since I type faster than I could talk.
So that and I'll figure out anymore dumb/stupid questions once I take a week to figure out the functions. Some of my fav' droid apps were simple stuff, like a toggle switch to turn/off the flip mode of the phone (so it won't keep rotating sideways if you're in bed reading), a button to turn the sound off (another one had a function to keep media sound on for like my alarm mp3). I wanted something to work so it would silence sounds when it knows my sleep schedule for work so I don't get woken up at 3am from my phone vibrating for some spam or something unimportant; didn't know if such an app or feature existed.
Also I got the cheaper, non siri version, and guess I gotta figure out if the GPS is as good on this as my android, with the navigation--I had toggle switches so I could switch the gps, wifi, and 3g off to conserve power; and a toggle for the lockscreen--dunno if it'll come in the market.
Apple market isn't as user friendly to me, the transition is smoother--WAY smoother--than with the back button on my droid but what I love about a pc and hate about a mac seem prevalent here; no right click option. I can't hold down on something and see options, but that's just a pet peeve I guess.

Another annoying issue is it keeps asking to join a wifi network. Now I live in an apartment building with several locked wifi; my home internet is a single wired modem because I find wifi is slow and again, bein an MMO nerd, I need no lag. Any advice to quit having this "find a network" thing from popping up or any of the other nit-picky problems above will be VERY welcome.

Thanks
@KidmanMakino

Lot of questions so many answers but first no big deal but for future reference it sounds like you have an iPhone 4 and this is a 4s section, but like I said no biggy since they are very much the same in terms of software. I use google talk for chatting when I am on my computer that way it can go both to my phone and my computer screen. Get familiar with the settings menu as a lot of the settings you are looking for will be found in there such as turning off WiFi notifications. This will keep your phone from automatically telling you when it has picked up another WiFi location plus save on batter life. To keep the screen from auto rotating simply double tap the home button then swipe the screen left and you will see your music player as well as a lock for the screen. Also, it sounds like you may be a candidate for jailbreaking your phone with the custom settings you want. The only way to achieve easy toggles for things like 3g, wifi, blue tooth, etc. is through jailbreaking, which will be much easier for you now since you have an iPhone 4 and not a 4s. As to your text reading request I am sure there are several apps available for that but I cannot make a recommendation as Siri does all that for me...Hope that covers some of it...

I got a new iphone, switched from HTC eris android, and so far it's SO great. Much faster, so much smoother and all around just...great. So far only thing I'm missin are my toggle switch widgets from my droid. I liked being able to toggle off the lock screen--so I just push the end button and pop up without havin to slide to unlock--and toggling GPS, wifi, and airplane mode along with vibrate/silent/normal volume.
Basically my pet peeves are notifications. I can't seem to toggle them off around bedtime so my phone will chirp and pop on the lock screen. I would like to be able to stop both of these during my normal sleep schedule--since the phone light and the notification tone kinda wakes me up. I would put phone on silent but I want to be sure the alarm on it will wake me up. I did this on my old droid widget by turning phone on silent but making sure the media volume was at max so the alarm mp3 could play.

If anyone has advice for this, other than setting it on airplane mode when I go to bed, or know of any widgets/toggles available through market or whatever iphone applicable version is, I'd be very grateful.

In settings under sounds turn vibrate to off for silent mode with your volume turned up, only alarms and music will play

$image-4291236019.jpg

I use this every night I turn it to silent and put it upside down on my nightstand alarm still plays to wake me up

not quite right..I wanted something to silence the notifications too and prevented the phone from lighting up when I got one. Only thing I want the phone to do is play the alarm in the morning, no noises or nothin till than....sleep mode kinda. I think setting airplane mode is my only option but it's whack

That does exactly what you want, no notifications play through while in silent mode only thing it doesn't sim screen

That does exactly what you want, no notifications play through while in silent mode only thing it doesn't sim screen
So it'll still light up if I get a text? Seems odd there's no way to fix that.
On the off chance is there a program/app that lets you send and receive texts on your pc that come to your phone, almost like some messenger program so that I dont have to take my hands off the keyboard? Something simple so I can alt enter, type a reply, than keep on going without stopping to check my phone

If you're jailbroken there is probably a tweak that will stop the light from turning on as for the messaging app for the pc I'm not sure, I k ow there is an awesome messaging app for the iPhone through cydia that does that but only on the phone

I'm reluctant to try jb'in the phone since I just got it--just hooked it up through itunes and was reluctant to install the 5.1 after reading some horror stories.
Flicking the mute switch on the side did help so that the only noise it makes is the alarm so thank you again. I am annoyed that I can't remove apps, like newstand, off the desktop--instead I have to shuffle them several screens away--and from the apparent lack of widgets. Coming from android I'm used to that and I used 'advanced task killer' a lot so I'm worried not closing apps like facebook, twitter and such will drain the phones battery & memory. Is this a needless concern? Aside from the few nitpicks the phone is so great, works smoothly and a lot smarter than the android I was used to.

I find double tapping the home button & removing the apps from memory helps battery life and helps notifications come through quicker, there are so many amazing things you can do while jailbroken that should be stock, but as soon as 5.1 untethered jailbreak comes out I will be jailbreaking mine once again

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I'm reluctant to try jb'in the phone since I just got it--just hooked it up through itunes and was reluctant to install the 5.1 after reading some horror stories.
Flicking the mute switch on the side did help so that the only noise it makes is the alarm so thank you again. I am annoyed that I can't remove apps, like newstand, off the desktop--instead I have to shuffle them several screens away--and from the apparent lack of widgets. Coming from android I'm used to that and I used 'advanced task killer' a lot so I'm worried not closing apps like facebook, twitter and such will drain the phones battery & memory. Is this a needless concern? Aside from the few nitpicks the phone is so great, works smoothly and a lot smarter than the android I was used to.

First. Jailbreaking will only stop the iPhone from making the OTA update possible. And once your jailbroken, you can trick iTunes into thinking your already updates to the latest iOS.

Also,...when your jailbroke, you can hide literally any application you want. Even the stock iPhone apps that come preintalled.

As for apps running in the background. It is soooo much more simple to quit an app opposed to how Android does it.

Just double ap the home button and ATP and hold in the app, ten tap the minus sign and it will quit completely.

Tho once you jailbroken, you can quit apps very easily.

I use MultiCleaner (a tweak you can only install once jailbroken).

I just double tap the status bar to quit the app I'm in,

And tap and hold status bar to quit all apps at one time.

I use Activator to swipe up once to activate the app switcher. And thanks to MultiCleaner, I can just drag any app in the switcher out to quit it.

Everything you thought about your new iPhone was wrong.

I find double tapping the home button & removing the apps from memory helps battery life and helps notifications come through quicker, there are so many amazing things you can do while jailbroken that should be stock, but as soon as 5.1 untethered jailbreak comes out I will be jailbreaking mine once again

Romoving apps from the switcher has no effect on battery,...

Lol maybe not battery life but maybe my OCD

Well the positives bout jb what're the potential negatives or risks. I didn't update to new os yet but updating to new iTunes for the phone really pissed me off cuz it never it never loads the playlists from Winamp
* frustrated grunt *