What's new

Can't End a Call on 5s

IphoneMommy

Reaction score
Ok, so my husband has a 5s (almost 2 months old). When he is on the phone and the call is over, he takes the phone from his ear taps the end call button and NOTHING. He does have a lifeproof case but it happens in AND out of the case. My 5 started the same issue in just a regular speck case right after the newest ios update.

Any advice or does this need to happen at the Apple Store? Thanks in advance everyone!

We have tried everything other than erasing and restoring. I searched and found many with the same problem but no resolution. Love the avatar btw Ivy!

We have tried everything other than erasing and restoring. I searched and found many with the same problem but no resolution. Love the avatar btw Ivy!
it does sound like a software issue, Your husband could ring Apple as he will have 90 days free phone support on his 5s and if they have the answer it should apply to yours too......Yes nice avatar isn't it.

From what I've seen many people backtrack to a previous software version and it solves the problem. We will try and call or head to the Apple store I guess unless someone has something else to recommend?

~ Beth ~

"Be nice to those you meet on the way up because you will meet them on the way down."

From what I've seen many people backtrack to a previous software version and it solves the problem. We will try and call or head to the Apple store I guess unless someone has something else to recommend?

~ Beth ~

"Be nice to those you meet on the way up because you will meet them on the way down."
Let us know how it goes.

Called Apple. Did a full restore and called them back because we're having the same issue. They offered to have us mail it to them for repair or go to the Apple store and have them take a look and replace it. So we need to make an appointment and drive FAR away to get a replacement.

~ Beth ~

Called Apple. Did a full restore and called them back because we're having the same issue. They offered to have us mail it to them for repair or go to the Apple store and have them take a look and replace it. So we need to make an appointment and drive FAR away to get a replacement.

~ Beth ~

Ah right, Better to get a replacement than a repair, We're lucky as our nearest Apple store is about 20 miles away, Its always heaving though, I dread going there.

Ok so update:

Went to the Apple store and got a replacement.

Came home.....SAME ISSUE.

SO, we did some troubleshooting. When the phone is out of the lifeproof case, this issue doesn't happen. When it is in the case it happens. When it is in the case but the charging port flap is OPEN, there is NO PROBLEM.

Why would this cause the phone to not end a call just because the port door is open/closed?

Now, i put MY lifeproof case on it (no ability for fingerprint scanner on case) and it doesn't happen regardless if that port flap is open or not.

Does this make any sense!? I am wracking my brain! :D

You might want to consider taking the phone and the case to an Apple store for a Genius Bar appointment. They may be able to figure out exactly what's happening here. I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone 5S and I never had the problem you describe.

Interesting that it happens when it is in the life proof case. Can you test your phone in another case for a few days to see how it works?

In another life proof case it doesn't have the problem. At all.

~ iPhoneMommy ~

You might want to consider taking the phone and the case to an Apple store for a Genius Bar appointment. They may be able to figure out exactly what's happening here. I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone 5S and I never had the problem you describe.

Weird thing is when he removes the "foam" that seals that flap or whatever it is, it works fine. It's like the seal creates extra pressure and that's what does it?

~ iPhoneMommy ~

Same here - it IS the Lifeproof case. We have 2 and one of them does it.

I think the problem is that the case is waterproof - so there is a finite distance between the front cover of the case and the screen itself.
It happens on other occasions too.
Try pressing harder on the End Call red button to be sure you are making contact with the screen.

I would get a different case for myself, but I need the protection the Lifeproof case gives me. (Dropped a camera and it died.)

Keep us posted, cb

The weird thing is that when he puts my life proof case on it it works fine. (Mine is for the iPhone 5) his has that film on the finger scanner.

~ iPhoneMommy ~