What's new

Can't download non-purchased music from iCloud following switch from 4s to 5s

Lumbertubs

Reaction score
Morning (at least, it's morning where I am),

I've searched to see whether this has been asked on here before but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I recently upgraded from a 4s to 5s. Before doing so, I backed up everything to my iCloud and then synced the new phone with that. It has downloaded all of my apps, photos/videos, messages etc and music purchased from iTunes. However, I'm missing loads of other songs/albums and it looks as if the common denominator for the missing music is that it wasn't purchased from iTunes.

I foolishly haven't synced my phone to iTunes on my laptop for a long time simply because I assumed (possibly wrongly) that the iCloud was, in effect, a perfectly fine replacement for this process. I'm now wondering if my non-purchased music was ever being backed up to the iCloud.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Morning (at least, it's morning where I am), I've searched to see whether this has been asked on here before but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I recently upgraded from a 4s to 5s. Before doing so, I backed up everything to my iCloud and then synced the new phone with that. It has downloaded all of my apps, photos/videos, messages etc and music purchased from iTunes. However, I'm missing loads of other songs/albums and it looks as if the common denominator for the missing music is that it wasn't purchased from iTunes. I foolishly haven't synced my phone to iTunes on my laptop for a long time simply because I assumed (possibly wrongly) that the iCloud was, in effect, a perfectly fine replacement for this process. I'm now wondering if my non-purchased music was ever being backed up to the iCloud. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Non iTunes music is not backed up in iCloud. Backing up your iPhone 4S to iTunes in your computer would have saved the music. Do you still have your iPhone 4S? If so, and if it hasn't been erased, back it up to iTunes on your computer then erase your iPhone 5S connect it to iTunes on your computer and set it up with the iPhone 4S backup. If the backup solution is not possible, you have no choice but to go to the original source for your non-iTunes music and download it all over again.

This is what will get backed up to iCloud. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:
Thanks scifan. I figured that might be the case but I'm grateful to you for confirming it.

My old phone has been cleared as it was immediately commandeered by my step daughter but my most recent itunes sync on my laptop (which as I said is relatively old) should have most of what I'm missing. not all but it will put me in a better position than I'm in now (i.e with more than just one AC/DC album!!).

Thanks again

Thanks scifan. I figured that might be the case but I'm grateful to you for confirming it.

My old phone has been cleared as it was immediately commandeered by my step daughter but my most recent itunes sync on my laptop (which as I said is relatively old) should have most of what I'm missing. not all but it will put me in a better position than I'm in now (i.e with more than just one AC/DC album!!).

Thanks again

Assuming the music are still on your old device and with the benefit of the doubt that our members purchased this media/apps or ripped them from purchased hardcopies, you can extract the music from your device using something like iBackupBot. It will backup your entire device down to the raw nub, including all the extraneous files that iTunes does not backup, which includes your music. Extract the media out of the backup, and re-sync them over to your 5S.

Because Apple is a business after all, they have to keep in mind DRM, DMCA and Copyright factors in what they allow their users to control.

Thanks scifan. I figured that might be the case but I'm grateful to you for confirming it. My old phone has been cleared as it was immediately commandeered by my step daughter but my most recent itunes sync on my laptop (which as I said is relatively old) should have most of what I'm missing. not all but it will put me in a better position than I'm in now (i.e with more than just one AC/DC album!!). Thanks again
If you do use that old backup to set up your iPhone 5S, nothing added to the 4S after the backup was made will be transferred to the 5S.

If I'm not mistaken the only way you could have non iTunes music available from the cloud would require you to subscribe to iTunes Match. This of course would have to be done on your PC using the iTunes music library it contains. iTunes periodically scans your library for changes and sends that info to the cloud servers. The servers then match up what's in your library to what's available in iTunes. In the event there isn't a match then your PC will upload the unmatched music files to the cloud.

Once all this is done the advantage is that all of your music is available on all of your Apple devices. Music that hasn't been downloaded onto a device is streamed to it from the cloud, or is available for downloading without having to sync to your PC.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk