What's new

Can't delete one remaining song

DaveM

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5s using iOS 8.1.2, not jailbroken. I don't store a lot of music on my phone, but today I wanted to delete the albums that I had added, and am going to put some new music on. I sync with iTunes, so I uncheckmarked everything that I didn't want and performed the sync. It worked perfectly, except for one remaining song from one album. It doesn't show up in iTunes, and I can't swipe-delete it from my phone - the swipe doesn't work. I'm not doing any syncing to iCloud. I did try a hard reset. Any ideas?

I have an iPhone 5s using iOS 8.1.2, not jailbroken. I don't store a lot of music on my phone, but today I wanted to delete the albums that I had added, and am going to put some new music on. I sync with iTunes, so I uncheckmarked everything that I didn't want and performed the sync. It worked perfectly, except for one remaining song from one album. It doesn't show up in iTunes, and I can't swipe-delete it from my phone - the swipe doesn't work. I'm not doing any syncing to iCloud. I did try a hard reset. Any ideas?
Have you tried going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage>Music and tried deleting the song from there?

Go to Settings - Music - Show All Music. If it's enabled, turn it off. Is the song still visible on your iPhone?

If all else fails, you may have to consider restoring your iPhone and setting it up as a new iPhone, if any backups you have contain that song that won't delete. This may not be practical if you have a lot of content on your iPhone that can't be re-downloaded from an iTunes or App Store purchased list.

If all else fails, you may have to consider restoring your iPhone and setting it up as a new iPhone, if any backups you have contain that song that won't delete. This may not be practical if you have a lot of content on your iPhone that can't be re-downloaded from an iTunes or App Store purchased list.
It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me just to get rid of one song. I figured this would be pretty straightforward to resolve, but maybe not.

It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me just to get rid of one song. I figured this would be pretty straightforward to resolve, but maybe not.

I love my iPhone but in all honesty the ringtone and music management by iTunes leaves a foul taste in my mouth. You'd think that getting rid of one song would be simple but as stated above 80% of the time it comes down to restoring the phone to clear up the problem. Why it can't be a simple drag and drop like an (shudder) android phone or a normal computer for that matter is beyond me.

Yeah, I agree. Love the iPhone but I've never been a fan of iTunes. As software goes it's really poor, IMHO. They've begun to make some changes but I'm not sure it will be enough.

I decided to try an experiment. I went back and added the album with all of its songs back onto the phone, then I deleted the entire album again. There was no change - the one song remained. That was a couple of days ago. This morning I looked on the phone and the song is gone! Very strange. I have the feeling that there's something I'm missing here, but at least for the moment the issue seems to be resolved.