What's new

Can I store stuff on iCloud that isn't on my phone in order to save my phone's memory

Lumbertubs

Reaction score
Hi there.

i recently upgraded from a 4s to a 5s. I wanted a 32gb 5s but the cost was prohibitive so I'm stuck with 16gb. However, the sales woman told me that its possible to use my iCloud for not only backing up but also as additional memory. From what I understood, she said I could have stuff (music, apps, videos, whatever) on my iCloud that isn't on my phone but which I can still access/stream as if it were on my phone.

Was this lady correct or was she lying in order to complete the sale?

If this is possible, how would I do it? Would the same method work for an iPad as well?

Thanks

I think a lot of people are using Dropbox, I don't know how you would back other stuff up to iCloud, maybe she was confusing iCloud and cloud backup

Hi there. i recently upgraded from a 4s to a 5s. I wanted a 32gb 5s but the cost was prohibitive so I'm stuck with 16gb. However, the sales woman told me that its possible to use my iCloud for not only backing up but also as additional memory. From what I understood, she said I could have stuff (music, apps, videos, whatever) on my iCloud that isn't on my phone but which I can still access/stream as if it were on my phone. Was this lady correct or was she lying in order to complete the sale? If this is possible, how would I do it? Would the same method work for an iPad as well? Thanks
You can stream your music and iTunes videos/TV shows to your iPhone through the cloud. If you are not on WiFi, though, you could end up using a very large amount of cellular data. Apps on the other hand cannot be streamed through the cloud, they have to be downloaded to your device before they can be used.

Here is how to stream your iTunes music and videos.

Go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Show All, and turn on the videos and music switches. When you then go to the video or music apps, this will now show all your iTunes purchased content whether or not it has been downloaded to your device. Then, to watch movies or TV shows, go to the videos app and select your show. Tap on the icon to bring the selected item to full screen and tap on the show icon, not on the iCloud download icon. If you have enough bandwidth, your program should start playing. To stream music, go to your music app and select the music you want to listen to, then tap on the song title, not the iCloud download icon at the right, your music should start streaming. $image-4034001488.jpg

$image-3523582968.jpg

$image-2454086148.jpg $image-1094085732.jpg $image-936020438.jpg $image-2670337436.jpg

Last edited:
I use Box to store photos, videos, gifs and other files. It's like Dropbox. It helps free up space.

I use Box to store photos, videos, gifs and other files. It's like Dropbox. It helps free up space.

I use Dropbox for the same thing. These 3rd party cloud services also make it easy to transfer files between an iOS device and a non-Mac desktop/laptop computer.