What's new

Hi, I am new to the Apple family, have a few questions!

Kirkturk

Reaction score
Is a 16GB IPhone 6 plus enough memory for a person like myself who likes taking pictures, and loading movies and songs on my phone.
Reason I am asking is sale rep explain to me that 16GB is enough, due to ICloud? Stating all my pictures and songs/movies would be stored on cloud and that I would be able to delete them off my phone once they load on cloud?
I really don't know how the cloud works, but I really think this guy didn't know what he was talking about.
Can anybody help me with this please.
I don't want to be stuck with this 16GB phone if I am going to run out of GB. Also cannot find anywhere else that has the 6plus 64GB in stock.

Thanks in advance

My wife has always had a 16gb iPhone and was always running out of space. She keeps no music, no movies. Just email, apps, and photos/videos she takes of the kids. This time around, I got her a 64gb so that we don't have to keep shuffling photos off the phone and onto the computer.

A 16gb phone may work for you but you may find yourself having to micromanage your photos as my wife was to save space for everything else.

I only have a couple hundred photos on my 16GB 5s. I'm not a big collector of apps, either. I'm pretty choosy about what I put on the phone, and if I find that I'm not using an app it gets deleted. Nonetheless, when it came time to upgrade to iOS 8 recently I found out that I didn't have enough free space to do the upgrade, even though I had over 5GB free. The culprit was videos. I didn't have a lot of those either, but video takes a lot of space. I had to transfer my vids off of the phone before I could do the upgrade. I would never buy a 16GB phone again. I'd recommend a minimum of 64GB (since it's the next step up in the iPhone 6 models), and if you plan on storing a lot of videos, or if you enjoy a lot of apps that take a lot of space, like some gaming apps, you might even consider going to 128GB. I do think that for most people the 64GB should be enough. One consideration is how long you plan to keep it. If you'll be moving up in 2 years you probably won't need as much as if you're going to hang onto it for a while longer.

With the current collection of apps/games that are available in the Apple App Store, I can't see where 16gb would be enough for ME, not to mention music, movies and videos. I go by the old saying ..."It's better to have and not need, that to need and not have". I suggest going for the max GB that your budget allows.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will take the 16GB back, but now will have to wait till Nov time frame to hopefully get a 64GB or higher one. According to all retail stores Best Buy etc it will be a long long time before they have enough in stock to carry the load. Right now they get one or two in for Verizon but if your not there at the right time, they sell it soon as they get it.
Then have to wait for another shipment of them, and can take up to a week or so two get another shipment in.

Thanks again

Is a 16GB IPhone 6 plus enough memory for a person like myself who likes taking pictures, and loading movies and songs on my phone.
Reason I am asking is sale rep explain to me that 16GB is enough, due to ICloud? Stating all my pictures and songs/movies would be stored on cloud and that I would be able to delete them off my phone once they load on cloud?
I really don't know how the cloud works, but I really think this guy didn't know what he was talking about.
Can anybody help me with this please.
I don't want to be stuck with this 16GB phone if I am going to run out of GB. Also cannot find anywhere else that has the 6plus 64GB in stock.

Thanks in advance

The salesperson is correct in that your music, movies, etc.. would be stored in iCloud, but what they don't tell you is that you'll be streaming that stuff to your phone which means using your cellular data. So unless you have an unlimited data plan, I would go for a phone with more storage instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with the others. The salesperson gave you very bad advice. I think 64 would probably be enough, but the 16 is there only to meet a price point. If you are planning on using your phone for music, pictures, and video, 16 is nowhere near enough. It would be better to wait until you can get a bigger one. If you stay with the 16, you will regret it. Every single day until you get a new, bigger phone.

I agree with the others. The salesperson gave you very bad advice. I think 64 would probably be enough, but the 16 is there only to meet a price point. If you are planning on using your phone for music, pictures, and video, 16 is nowhere near enough. It would be better to wait until you can get a bigger one. If you stay with the 16, you will regret it. Every single day until you get a new, bigger phone.
Til now, I have always found 32 to be big enough but no way was I going to drop down to 16 for an IP6. There is a reason Apple bumped the 32 GB off and is selling the 64 at that price point. Even Apple knows 16 is bare bones. And I don't have many photos etc on my phone.

It should also be addded... Apple provides 5GB of iCloud storage for free. Anything over that you have to purchase more storage space. Here's Apple's iCloud pricing...

Untitled.jpg

I must be in minority because I find 16GB is plenty, I'm picky about what apps I have on, I don't put a lot of photos on as I can put those on my iPad and Mac, I have a fair bit of music on my phone and I still have plenty of space at the moment should I want to put more on.

The salesperson is correct in that your music, movies, etc.. would be stored in iCloud, but what they don't tell you is that you'll be streaming that stuff to your phone which means using your cellular data. So unless you have an unlimited data plan, I would go for a phone with more storage instead.

You don't have to use cellular data. Wifi works just fine for this, not that I wouldn't get more storage. I store lots of pics on Onedrive and can get to my pics on home/work wifi at anytime, so those images don't ever need to live on my iPhone. Still, I personally would never buy the 16GB version.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you use your phone for, I don't watch videos for example and i don't play games on my phone, I use my iPad for all that, 64GB would be wasted on me but others need even more than that as they do everything on their phones.

You don't have to use cellular data. Wifi works just fine for this, not that I would it. I store lots of pics on Onedrive and can get to my pics on how wifi at anytime, so those images don't ever need to live on my iPhone. Still, I personally would never buy the 16GB version.

Sure if you're at home or at Starbucks or something like that, but what about those times when you can't access wifi and you want to listen to music or watch a movie?

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5c using Tapatalk!

Sure if you're at home or at Starbucks or something like that, but what about those times when you can't access wifi and you want to listen to music or watch a movie?

Don't. Or get on hotel wifi. Or get on a friends wifi. Or get on campus wifi. Wifi is not hard to find these days. The point is one is not forced to use Cellular for these activities.