What's new

Can I adjust text alert volume independetly of ringer volume?

sarasayshi

Reaction score
I am brand new to iphones. I have had my phone for 3 days now and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to turn down the text tone alert volume independently of the ringer volume. I currently have settings > sounds > change with buttons "off". I have then clicked directly on the ringtone to make sure the volume was set loud and I then went and clicked on text tone and turned down the volume. But then I will find the ringer volume is now too low. The text tones are too loud and scare the crap out of me when turned up like the ringer volume. I had a Galaxy S3 and was able to turn down notification tones lower than ringer volume so I am baffled as to why I can't do this on my new iphone.

I am brand new to iphones. I have had my phone for 3 days now and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to turn down the text tone alert volume independently of the ringer volume. I currently have settings > sounds > change with buttons "off". I have then clicked directly on the ringtone to make sure the volume was set loud and I then went and clicked on text tone and turned down the volume. But then I will find the ringer volume is now too low. The text tones are too loud and scare the crap out of me when turned up like the ringer volume. I had a Galaxy S3 and was able to turn down notification tones lower than ringer volume so I am baffled as to why I can't do this on my new iphone.

Sorry, but there is no way to independently manage the notification sounds on an iPhone. All I can suggest is either get a softer/quieter text alert sound or turn off the sound for texts entirely (with maybe vibrate-only).

Marilyn

I just got a new iPhone 6 and have the same question. I would like to leave ringer volume up at night in case of an emergency phone call but I don't want to hear all the chimes and pings each time an e-mail or text message comes in during the night. Surely there has to be a way to mute those while still having an audible ringtone?

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you but I do not see an option for setting the volume for the ringer and alerts separately, which is what I am attempting to do. Am I missing something?

You can't specifically do that with Do not Disturb, but you can allow calls from people you want and then block all other calls and notifications.

Not ideal but I guess that's what I'll have to do. Thanks.

It seems like it's ideal for what you want. You can allow calls from a either a few or on up to everyone while concurrently silencing all other notifications. Isn't that what you wanted?