What's new

Can Apple tell if your iphone is JB?

APX7000

Reaction score
Can the apple genius people at the stores tell if you iPhone is jailbroken?

I have a 4s that I jailbroke (7.0.4), but do not have any tweaks installed. Only JB things installed are universal downloader and iCleaner and Cydia. If I bury these apps in a folder so they are not apparently visible unless you really dig deep.

Can the apple folks at the apple stores still be able to tell my 4s is jailbroken?

Reason I ask is I want them to replace the battery. I could easily do this myself, but want a real Apple OEM battery, not those cheap eBay $5 batteries.

Can the apple genius people at the stores tell if you iPhone is jailbroken? I have a 4s that I jailbroke (7.0.4), but do not have any tweaks installed. Only JB things installed are universal downloader and iCleaner and Cydia. If I bury these apps in a folder so they are not apparently visible unless you really dig deep. Can the apple folks at the apple stores still be able to tell my 4s is jailbroken? Reason I ask is I want them to replace the battery. I could easily do this myself, but want a real Apple OEM battery, not those cheap eBay $5 batteries.
Yes, they can tell if your iPhone is jailbroken. If you want Apple to service your iPhone it's best to remove the jailbreak from your iPhone, you can re jailbreak it again after the battery replacement.

How can they tell? If all JB icons are hidden, how would they be able to tell?

They have a diagnostic program they run, I believe it's that program that will say its a JB phone

Before returning the device to you or before re-assembling the device, the technician will do a diagnostics run on your device to make sure that the battery or replaced part is functioning as it's supposed to, otherwise, a panic will occur. The technician does not simply take the old battery out then replace it with a new one. They have to make sure that it's been placed properly, that it can hold a charge, and that it's grounded properly and NANDs all functioning.

Ok that all makes sense. Ok, then how do I get an OEM factory original replacement battery out of Apple? I will not use anything but OEM Li-Po replacements.

Give them your device, let them replace the battery, then restore your data and rejailbreak the device. Not sure about anywhere else, but there's a J&R electronics store that sells OEM batteries as well as replaces them, but they're about twice or thrice the price of what they'd cost on iFixit.com, whether you want the replacement done for you, the price is the same, so usually consumers just opt for the replacement as well. If you're into DIYs, the battery itself isn't exactly difficult to do yourself, just that it takes a bit of time, and a lot easier than replacing the screen, the baseband chipset, antenna, power button, etc, basically easier than anything and everything except for the SIM tray (tray only) and the rear housing.

iFixIt.com offers a great price on their parts, and 9 out of 10 parts comes with the tools necessary to do the job, so whether or not you want the tools, the price is still the same, so no loss there. They also offer great illustrative instructions on how to perform the procedure, and offer a decent warranty over several months to ensure that your purchase is working properly, otherwise, they'll replace it with a new one. I've purchased 2 iPhone batteries and 2 iPad screen/batteries (never again) and am very satisfied with the investment.

G I've purchased 2 iPhone batteries and 2 iPad screen/batteries (never again) and am very satisfied with the investment.

Can you explain why you say never again on the iPad? I don't have any issues with mine currently but for (hopefully never) future reference.

The only reason I'll probably never buy parts for an iPad because of the process of taking it apart. Apple uses an adhesive to put the device together, and taking it apart is fairly difficult to do. The parts themselves were great, just that the iPad takes more time, precision and a LOT of patience.

Fair enough. I changed the screen on an iPad touch that used adhesive. Fixing my 4s was MUCH easier.
Thanks