What's new

Camera iPhone12 video starts automaticly when I want to take a picture.

Charlotte F

Reaction score
I have this iPhone12 for 3 weeks now afternoon having iPhone8 for years. When I want to make a photo, the video starts filming. Very irritatingā€¦ Please can anyone give some advice? Thank you

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Make sure thereā€˜s a white button at the bottom when you intend to take a picture. If thereā€˜s a red one, like this:
12D2DE19-8B65-4058-8F42-1EC232736D14.jpeg

you start filming.

If the problem is different, please describe it exactly.

There is something i wanna ask you about before answering the question. If you turn to the photo what will happen then?
You mean A taken photo? That dependance if ā€œliveā€ in on. Is that what you mean?

If ā€œLiveā€œ is enabled in the Camera app, and it looks like this, tap this icon once to disable it.
9ADFC0A8-B83F-4D86-A329-7F1F2428B2CF.jpeg

I repeat in Dutch:
als ik klik op camera en dan een foto wil maken heb ik een witte knop. Als ik een video wil maken een rode knop.
als ik een foto maak en wat dichterbij het onderwerp ga, start de camera automatisch met filmen terwijl hij op foto staat. Heel irritant.

When youā€™re in Photo mode, itā€™s possible to record a QuickTake Video by pressing and holding the Shutter button. That feature isnā€™t available on the iPhone 8.

If you donā€™t touch it when the camera starts recording, restart your iPhone (turn it off and on again). Also make sure itā€™s up to date. The most recent software for the iPhone 12 is 16.1.

Yess, thank you. My software is Up to date. I discovered that it mostly happens when I turn from portrait to landscape .

Yess, thank you. My software is Up to date. I discovered that it mostly happens when I turn from portrait to landscape .

So when it's set to "Photo", and you turn the iPhone to landscape, it switches to "Video" on the options bar? Is that correct?

Yes-R, that
So when it's set to "Photo", and you turn the iPhone to landscape, it switches to "Video" on the options bar? Is that correct?
is correct. It also happens when I stay in portrait but mostly when I move my phone to horizontal.

Yes-R, that

is correct. It also happens when I stay in portrait but mostly when I move my phone to horizontal.

Have you tried Reset All Settings? Settings>General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings.

This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, clock settings like wake up alarms, wallpaper, etc. It fixes a lot of issues.