What's new

Calls failing when swapping callers

Ledner67

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and appreciate in advance, any information!

I'm having a very annoying issue with my 6S (coincidentally had it on my 6 as well). If I am on a call and someone else calls me, most of the times if I attempt to put the current call on hold and pick up the new call; I drop both calls and both calls say "call failed." It doesn't matter where I am or how many bars I have. I'm on Verizon and have the VoLTE network enabled for both calls and data.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What have you been able to do to resolve the issue?

Much appreciated!

Perhaps a review of what you can do and how is in order. The last two paragraphs about CDMA may be especially pertinent to you but I am not sure.
Respond to a second call. You can:

• Ignore the call and send it to voicemail: Tap Ignore.

• Put the first call on hold and answer the new one: Tap Hold + Accept.

• End the first call and answer the new one: When using a GSM network, tap End + Accept. With a CDMA network, tap End and when the second call rings back, tap Accept, or drag the slider if iPhone is locked.
With a call on hold, tap Swap to switch between calls, or tap Merge Calls to talk with both parties at once. See Conference calls.

Note: With CDMA, you can’t switch between calls if the second call was outgoing, but you can merge the calls. You can’t merge calls if the second call was incoming. If you end the second call or the merged call, both calls are terminated.

Perhaps a review of what you can do and how is in order. The last two paragraphs about CDMA may be especially pertinent to you but I am not sure.
Respond to a second call. You can:

• Ignore the call and send it to voicemail: Tap Ignore.

• Put the first call on hold and answer the new one: Tap Hold + Accept.

• End the first call and answer the new one: When using a GSM network, tap End + Accept. With a CDMA network, tap End and when the second call rings back, tap Accept, or drag the slider if iPhone is locked.
With a call on hold, tap Swap to switch between calls, or tap Merge Calls to talk with both parties at once. See Conference calls.

Note: With CDMA, you can’t switch between calls if the second call was outgoing, but you can merge the calls. You can’t merge calls if the second call was incoming. If you end the second call or the merged call, both calls are terminated.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I wish it were that easy. I am hitting the correct options to either hold or drop the first call. It's just hit or miss wheather both calls fail. I reset my network settings. I'm hoping this solves it. I still suspect it has something to do with getting a call from someone off the VoLTE network.

Read the last bullet point and the two following paragraphs. It matters if the call came in or was going out as well as being on hold first and Verizon is not a GSM network.
If you had and click on the conference calls link you would have read this:

Conference calls
With GSM, you can set up a conference call with up to five people (depending on your carrier).

Note: Conference calls may not be available if your call is using VoLTE (Voice over LTE).

Create a conference call. While on a call, tap Add Call, make another call, then tap Merge Calls. Repeat to add more people to the conference.

• Drop one person: Tap
    IL_Info.png
    next to a person, then tap End.

• Talk privately with one person: Tap
    IL_Info.png
    ,then tap Private next to the person. Tap Merge Calls to resume the conference.

• Add an incoming caller: Tap Hold Call + Answer, then tap Merge Calls.