What's new

Buying an Iphone 5 from Ebay

neil4u

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a new Iphone 5 from Ebay because it is coming out to be cheaper.
What precautions can I take so that I get genuine device and warranty.
Is there a place where I can check the IMEI number and find out about the device.

Any Advise related to the above whould be highly appreciated.

Just to add I am from UK and plan to take it to India after I buy it.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Every phone I've ever bought off Ebay has given me problems. I've probably bought 5 or more from Ebay over the years. They all say, "New mint condition" but if that's the case, why are they selling it? It's not going to be that much cheaper than the store. I'd stick with your wireless provider, or if you can get to an Apple store in the UK, I'd go there. That's where I got mine. This way I know if I have any issues with it, they'll fix/replace it for me. My 2 cents. If you do buy from Ebay, try and stick with the New/Unopened boxes. At least you'll be somewhat safe. Just remember, you might have problems later on down the road with getting it fixed or replaced if you do experience issues with it. Good Luck!

Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a new Iphone 5 from Ebay because it is coming out to be cheaper.
Is there a place where I can check the IMEI number and find out about the device.

Thanks,
Nick

High end electronics items are one of the most fraud prevalent areas on eBay. You would be better off spending the extra money elsewhere to be sure of receiving a problem free iPhone. The term "buyer beware" is especially important here.

scifan 57; iPhone Forums moderator

Have to agree with all those comments,why don't you look and see if Apple have any reconditioned ones,they will still come with a warranty and come out cheaper than a brand new one.

Thank you for your replies guys.

Another question should I wait for Iphone 5s?

Depends on how badly you need a new phone. The current thought is that the 5s will be out this fall, but Apple might not release it until next year. You never know with them.

The 5S won't be that far a step above the 5 to be honest. It's mainly just chasing the next number/model at this point. The 5 will be much more than enough for the next 3-4 years if not more considering it's on a gig of RAM, up from the 512 from the 4 threshold models

The 5S won't be that far a step above the 5 to be honest. It's mainly just chasing the next number/model at this point. The 5 will be much more than enough for the next 3-4 years if not more considering it's on a gig of RAM, up from the 512 from the 4 threshold models
Agree ^^^^

Thank you for your replies guys.

Another question should I wait for Iphone 5s?

I would yes, with ios 7 we will likely see the 5S.. there is no point getting it now unless youre in a rush to get a new phone and want it cheaper. the 5S will be expensive for a while unless you go contract

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Nick

If you do choose to buy a phone off of eBay, be sure to buy it from a reputable seller.
You can check the IMEI by calling up the carrier. Or, Swappa has a free IMEI checking tool on their site.
As far as the warranty, it goes with the device, regardless of who owns it.

I purchase most of my phones online, from Swappa, eBay, Amazon, an other sites. With eBay, you get one of the best buyer protection systems I've ever used. Basically, you have a 45 day warranty. If anything goes wrong within those 45 days, eBay has you covered.

I would also wait for the 5S though, unless it would be cost prohibitive.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2