What's new

BUG? "IPhone disabled" without me doing anything (iPhone 6)

sbw2019

Reaction score
Huge problem:

Randomly my iPhone 6 gets disabled. The past days it happened a few times that, after charging my phone, it turned on with the "iPhone is disabled" screen appearing. The times before I just had to wait for a few minutes until it was "enabled" again (and I sort of ignored the it) - this time it says "iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes". The strange thing is that I didn't enter my password incorrectly even once, the disabled-screen simply showed up after I had plugged in the iPhone to charge.

I went to the Apple store to see what they say, and the bloke said all they can do is to reset the iPhone - and that the only reason that the disabled-message shows up is when the password has been entered incorrectly too many times.

This really really sucks because 1 it has to be an Apple bug, as the error message just randomly showed up and 2 there are very very important files from the last four years on there (pictures, notes, recordings, information) that will simply be forever lost.

I'm quite furious because this must be a problem with Apple but they don't provide any help. I hope that somebody has an idea how I can at leaste save some of my files. I would be devastated if I lost them.

First thing, back up your iPhone while you still can. After you’ve backed up the iPhone, open the apps where the files are stored and transfer them to your computer.
BTW, this random disabling of your iPhone could be imminent signs of a major hardware failure in the near future.

Thanks for your response! The problem is, because my phone is in disabled-mode, doing a backup is not an option. When I plug my iPhone into my desktop, a window pops up with the two options "Update" or "Restore". I tried to do an update, didn't work. Restoring the phone means losing everything.

Why didn’t you back up your iPhone as soon as the problem first appeared? If you’re getting the connect to iTunes message it may already be too late to save the data on your iPhone.

I didn't think anything of it, to be honest. Thought it was some error that would disappear by itself, also I didn't know that I would be unable to access my phone entirely. I should have done a backup earlier ... damn! Still crazy to me though that this can just happen by itself and Apple don't have any solution for it

Apple does have a solution, but as you said, it involves losing all your data.

Oh, this is terrible! I am so sorry to hear about this. Is this just something with iPhone 6, or does it effect others, too? How do you know if your phone is backing up to your computer every time you plug in? I plug in my phone and see an iTunes sync in progress. Is that it? I am worried now.

Oh, this is terrible! I am so sorry to hear about this. Is this just something with iPhone 6, or does it effect others, too? How do you know if your phone is backing up to your computer every time you plug in? I plug in my phone and see an iTunes sync in progress. Is that it? I am worried now.
The only problem is that if the screen is dark and non responsive you can’t unlock the iPhone and start the sync.

^^^ Yes, understood, but if you do see sinking with iTunes, that means everything is being saved to the computer, yes?

Not exactly. Syncing just makes sure that some of the information on one device is available on other devices connected to the same service.

A backup saves settings, apps, ... on your device. The backup file is saved to your computer (or to iCloud), and you can restore an iDevice from it.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Thank you, J.A.!! I did not realise there was a distinction! I must back up then because I think it was probably only ever done once whilst they were trying to fix my loss of WiFi away from home, etc. I am afraid I have neglected my phone in this respect.

I just had a brand new update to OS a day or so ago. Did everyone get it??

Thank you, J.A. That must have been what I got. I keep checking for updates so that my iPhone will continue to be compatible with my MacBook Air, but I cannot seem to update my Mac's OS. Using Sierra 10.12.6. I know there are more recent OS updates, though. I worry about my phone continuing to be compatible with my MacBook's OS.

Clicking on "About This Mac" it says mid 2011. As I recall, I purchased it Summer/Autumn 2011. That makes it too old then? Will I end up with problems syncing my iPhone with it in future?