What's new

bought Brand New iPhone 4s 16gb and it has ios 8.0.2

nathanMan

Reaction score
Did any iPhone 4s (16gb) ever ship with ios 8.0.2? Just got one that was supposed to be brand new and it came with that.

I also ran it through iBackupBot and it says there were 424 charge cycles...it says the Full Charge Capacity is 1400 out of a max 1430. Oh ya, and there weren't any apple stickers even though it came sealed. The seal looked to be legit, and the phone looks brand new.

It looks like you were scammed. Based on what you discovered, the iPhone was a long way from being new, despite the appearance of the packaging.

The iPhone 4s was discontinued by Apple on September 9, 2015, just before iOS 8 was released. An iPhone 4s was never available new with iOS 8 pre-installed. Your phone was updated, probably more than once.

If you go to this site and enter the serial number of the iPhone, it will tell you what iOS version it originally shipped with. iOS Version by Serial Number

Last edited:
Did any iPhone 4s (16gb) ever ship with ios 8.0.2? Just got one that was supposed to be brand new and it came with that.

I also ran it through iBackupBot and it says there were 424 charge cycles...it says the Full Charge Capacity is 1400 out of a max 1430. Oh ya, and there weren't any apple stickers even though it came sealed. The seal looked to be legit, and the phone looks brand new.
Where did you purchase the phone?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, nathanMan!

The other thread you started about the same topic has been removed. Duplicate threads are fragmenting the discussion, making it hard to follow, and they are also against our rules.

Please keep any discussion of this problem to this thread!

Thanks scifan I really appreciate it...I have been searching and searching and can't find anything. I just put in the serial number at that site and it says it shipped with ios 5.0.1. So I did get ripped off. I got it from Amazon and they described it as new and factory sealed and I even messaged them to confirm before buying and they said it was new. I've never had problems on amazon so I hope we can figure it out and the seller makes it right. The phone looks brand new and runs great...would love to just get some kind of refund for the lie about it being factory sealed.

How did you pay for the phone? Various payment methods such as PayPal and credit cards have refund options if you receive an item that is not as described. First, though, contact Amazon and inquire about their refund policy if you've received an item not as described.

You should also consider submitting a review of your findings so others don't get ripped off. Amazon has facilities for this. If you do submit a review, be sure that it is filled with facts and try to avoid adding opinions - this will be highly effective.

If you bought this phone from Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon then you should contact them, You will be able to print off a label and return it for a full refund.

If you bought it through a third party then email them (always via Amazon) They have to respond within three working days.
Don't worry, Either way Amazon protects its customers and will back you if the seller doesn't respond.

Thanks a bunch everyone for your help. I did purchase it with a credit card from a third party seller. So I should just try to contact the seller for the first 3 days and then file a complaint with amazon if they don't respond?

Attached is a picture of the manual that came inside...Does it look like ios 5, or did I get the wrong manual too? Just trying to get the facts straight before contacting the seller.
wcfdwn.jpg

Last edited:
That's right, Remember always email from your Amazon account so Amazon can see what is said and done.

If the seller won't play ball as you said you can file a complaint, This often does the trick.

One more thing, you may also have some protection from your credit card company but I doubt you will need it.

Another thing, If you're not sure how to file a complaint or you just need advice Amazon have a really good Chat service.
They will file for you if need be.

Thanks a bunch everyone for your help. I did purchase it with a credit card from a third party seller. So I should just try to contact the seller for the first 3 days and then file a complaint with amazon if they don't respond?

Attached is a picture of the manual that came inside...Does it look like ios 5, or did I get the wrong manual too? Just trying to get the facts straight before contacting the seller.
wcfdwn.jpg
iOS 5 had a different default wallpaper than the one shown in the middle image of that manual. The default wallpaper shown in that image wasn't used until iOS 6, if I remember correctly. So, I'm thinking that the images in the manual are from iOS 6.

Also, the icons in that manual picture of the home screen are different from iOS 5, the third row of icons are even different from iOS 6. Clearly that picture isn't a stock picture of the home screen. Did the iPhone 4S even ship with a manual like that?

Last edited:
I figured out the manual...it is on Apple's site where you can browse the manuals...It is for an iPhone 5 hahah
Good thing I checked the battery in the first place and saw the 400+ charge cycles that lead me to investigate more...and good things for this forum, you all have helped a lot :)

Also, are brand new sealed iPhones from Amazon covered under Apple's 1 year warranty? I know this wouldn't since it really isn't new, but if I were to buy a new one in the future...Thanks again :)

Also, are brand new sealed iPhones from Amazon covered under Apple's 1 year warranty? I know this wouldn't since it really isn't new, but if I were to buy a new one in the future...Thanks again :)
If they're actually new and factory sealed I would think they would be covered. I've had Verizon tell me that my iPhones were covered under Apple's warranty because the devices were unopened.