What's new

New member. Iphone 4S. And not at all impressed with battery life

lejomr

Reaction score
Hi all.

Upgraded from my 3GS about three weeks ago. Also have an Ipad but never used a Mac in anger.
Agree that the camera in the 4S is very good (my digital camera is a Leica so my expectations are reasonably high).

However thus far I don't see any real performance increase on a day to day basis over my 3GS. I'd go so far as to say things like Facebook might even be a bit slower. My real beef is battery life and clearly I'm not alone. I have upgraded the recent IOS 5.0.1, am careful with location services, screen brightness, only use fetch email etc., but with only very minor use I struggle to get a full day's charge.

Any new ideas?

L

Hi L... welcome to iPF.net!! The "Battery Gate" is definitely an ongoing issue that we all hope to see resolved in the near future. Be sure to check out the "Apple is aware..." thread for up to date info. I believe there's a few developers posting regularly keeping people up to date, almost daily, on their battery performance w/ the most recent updates.

Sorry to hear you're not having a pleasant experience.

However welcome to the forum!!!

Also, in the same place as the auto time zone adjustments, turn off the usage and performance reporting. It doesn't affect your performance and I believe that's one thing that really helped me. With it on, the iPhone compiles a TON of data and sends it to Apple, constantly updating it, regarding your phone's use, data use, and performance, for continual support development. I don't mind that, but as long as we're having battery issues, I'll keep that off for now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

what about the reception signal? are you having a full bars for signals? or is it 1 or 2 bars you are having most of the time? that could be one of the reasons why your battery is dropping faster, the 3G network as well. Fetching your emails automatically on 3G can decrease your battery performances a bit. Welcome to the forum.

Actually, my experience with any phone is that if you're in a fringe area or beyond, the phone constantly searching for 3G signal and/or constantly switching between 3G/EDGE or 1xRTT, is a sure fire way to drain a battery quickly. I have always lived in rural areas and worked in metro areas where coverage is excellent, thus my experience. I found battery life to be better so long as I was In 3G territory.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions people. Icrank, note that I started this thread as my introduction to the forum as requested. I sought out the forum for the very reason of having problems, hence the battery topic. I can see there are other benefits so intend to visit often. Right now, I'm one of the users of Giffgaff (UK) suffering a total service outage since yesterday morning. Sigh......