What's new

Bought an iphone off friend and got a problem

lukes280

Reaction score
I have just bought an iphone 4 off of a friend. I dont know what network it is on or what to do. i have updated it to ios5, then got the activation sim. took it into town to day, o2 vodafon tmobile and it is not on there network. it isnt an orange network which i am on and am not sure wether it is 3. i took it into carphone warehouse and the said the tray wasnt for my iphone, i did have a little chip init to unlock to anynetwork. it was also jailbroken. i didnt want it to be so i updated it hoping it would get rid of it. i am now worried if i take it to the apple store which is 50 miles away from were i live that they will say they cant unlock it. any help on what to do with this. i have not got a phone till i can activate it and get my orange sim to work.

what i need to know basicaly is if i can take to the apple store and unlock it even if it was jailbroken, if not what do i do

Luke

Have you discussed this with the friend you got it from? Seems to me that person should have some of your answers.
Bill

well just about to pay someone to try every sim init. if that dont work i dont know what to do, if i took it into apple would they find i have jail broken it. would they sew me or do something. cause i want them to unlock it to anynetwork and get the sim to unlock it

Luke

What version do you have? GSM or CDMA? Could it be possible that your friend owes some $$ on the service carrier he was with on the iPhone?

Another thing to ook at is your APN seetings.

somehow the network settings for the APN changed from payandgo.o2.co.uk to mobile.o2.co.uk. Just revert the unwanted change under "Settings -> General - Network - Cellular Data Network", change the APN back to payandgo.o2.co.uk

What version do you have? GSM or CDMA? Could it be possible that your friend owes some $$ on the service carrier he was with on the iPhone?

Another thing to ook at is your APN seetings.

somehow the network settings for the APN changed from payandgo.o2.co.uk to mobile.o2.co.uk. Just revert the unwanted change under "Settings -> General - Network - Cellular Data Network", change the APN back to payandgo.o2.co.uk

i have the activation screen where i have to put a sim card init, i wont be able to do any of that, i think it is cdma, it rings a bell but how do i find out.

i bought the phone off him in working condition, it hasnt got the proper iphone tray as it had a chip in it to unlock it to any network. it was also jailbroken as i stated so it could use ultra snow. i really want this sorted, wheter it is jailbroken or not. i would prefer it if i could take it to apple and unlock it to anynetwork but i am worried if they will find out it was jailbroken

just to remind everyone i did update it to ios5 and after i did it gave me the activation screen.

Luke

If you updated to ios 5 then you have nothing to worry about. You should no longer be jailbroken. Just plug into iTunes and it should ask you to update to IOS 5.0.1. Other than that, you should be able to take it to Apple. They won't be able to tell if you jail broke it. If possible, post a screen capture of what your phone looks like. That may help us out.

If you updated to ios 5 then you have nothing to worry about. You should no longer be jailbroken. Just plug into iTunes and it should ask you to update to IOS 5.0.1. Other than that, you should be able to take it to Apple. They won't be able to tell if you jail broke it. If possible, post a screen capture of what your phone looks like. That may help us out.

you are amazing and what is a udid actvation. i just come across it looking at this pick. do i need to buy one everytime i upgrade my phone??
yes here is a link that it looks like

Redirect Notice
[URL]http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=udid+activation&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=LaecRlk6tExdlM:&imgrefurl=http://www.iphonejailbreak.me/download-ios-5-beta-and-udid-activation-for-usd9-99/&docid=ta34yClTZ0kCfM&imgurl=http://www.iphonejailbreak.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ios_5_activation.jpg&w=400&h=426&ei=Y9nnTq-FAYu08QP-ua3pCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=408&vpy=102&dur=7&hovh=232&hovw=218&tx=78&ty=115&sig=100229355016192720005&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=152&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0
[/URL]

Your going to need to buy a sim card to put into it. I have a Verizon CDMA iPhone and it does require a sim. The people at apple will be able to help you. Don't worry, take the 50 mile drive. It will be worth it. Your probably stuck in the activation screen because u have no sim card. Whichever carrier you have it programmed with will sell you a sim card. Do that first, you may not need to go to apple at all. Good luck friend.