What's new

Blobs and unlocking

wattsworksllc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I current have a 3gs with version 3.1.3 and 5.12.01 modem firmware.

I first download unbrella to save my blobs but it shows that I have no blobs. Is this good or bad.

Is it safe to unlock with this version or do I need to upgrade.

David

You should stay on 3.1.3 and unlock with ultrasn0w. Since you don't have any blobs your only option to upgrade right now would be to upgrade to 4.3.5 which would also update your baseband to a baseband that is not unlockable. Wait for iOS5 to be jailbroken and for sn0wbreeze for iOS5 to be released so that you can restore a custom iOS5 firmware and preserve your unlockable baseband.

I have having trouble finding jb and unlocking info for my 3gs with 3.1.3.

I know its old so I might be at a disadvantage. Could someone direct me please.

Tried going to jailbreakme.com but it has a picture of steve jobs on it and nothing else.

Trying to use my phone on a new carrier.

Thanks for all the help.

David

Download the IPSW 3.1.3
Download that IPSW 3.1.3 corresponding version of redsnow.
Install redsnow on your computer, lunch redsnow, follow instruction to jailbreak your phone.
One the jailbreak is done, you will see one new icon on your home screen labeled "cydia" open it, register as an user, and search for "ultrasnow" install it and respring your phone.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, messed. Long story short. I now have 4.3.5. Was able to jb. I think I got unlocked.
I am on modem firmware 5.16.02.

Question 1: will i have trouble getting my new carrier (union cellular) to work with this modem?

Question 2: How or what is meant by tethering and pointing to a particular (what ever its called) when rebooting?

THanks

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, messed. Long story short. I now have 4.3.5. Was able to jb. I think I got unlocked.
I am on modem firmware 5.16.02.

Question 1: will i have trouble getting my new carrier (union cellular) to work with this modem?

Question 2: How or what is meant by tethering and pointing to a particular (what ever its called) when rebooting?

THanks

Well if i'm not mistaken, your baseband is not supported by ultrasnow unless it was updated and i didn't know, to this point, you will have to use gevey or something like that to unlock your baseband.
Tether means that every time you will turn off the device, or install an app/tweak from cydia which will require you reboot (not respring) the device, you will be force to connect your phone to your computer and use your jailbreak tool to boot up the device. It's troublesome to have a tether jailbreak but if you are sure that you do not off your device often then it's ok.

bab2010 is right, you shouldn't have updated man, I warned you. Your baseband is no longer unlockable and now you can only have a tethered jailbreak. Your only option for unlocking at this point is to update your baseband to the iPad baseband which will likely ruin your GPS functionality.