What's new

Before Jailbraking

antainso

Reaction score
I have downloaded the latest redsn0w and was wondering if there was anything else I needed to do/download before I jailbrake my iPhone?

No. There is nothing else.

However....you may need to know a few things.

If your on 4S on 5.0.1 you need to use the latest Absinthe Greenpois0n.

If your in an iPhone 4, and on iOS 5.1.....you will only have a tethered jailbreak.

If your on an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1.....you ate good to go...and can untether jailbreak your iPhone 4 with redsn0w 0.9.10b6.

And, if you are on iOS 5.0.1, I would download iFaith IMMEDIATELY, open the app, and click the "Dump SHSH Blobs" button and follow the directions.

Also get the latest version of Tiny Umbrella, open it, plug in phone, and click "Save SHSH".

I would build a custom Ipsw with iFaith and save the IPSW on your desktop. that way if you have to restore....you can just restore back to 5.0.1.....and no 5.1.

But as far as jail breaking with redsn0w.......

All you need to do us plug in device, open redsn0w, click jailbreak....and enter DFU mode. Wait for reboot.

If your on 5.1 you have boot tethered with Reddn0w on every single reboot or jailbreak tweaks will not work.

antainso said:
I have a 3GS. And I am running the current 5.1

Will that make a difference?

Then just open redsn0w, click jailbreak.

If you have a new Bootrom 3GS, then you will have a tethered jailbreak.

If you have an old Bootrom 3GS then it will be untethered.

Redsn0w should figure that out for you, but if you want to know before hand, just go to ih8sn0w.com and download "iDetector".

Open that...plug in phone.