What's new

Battery question

Retep

Reaction score
Hi,
Does it "hurt" the Battery if I keep the phone plugged in (on charge) most of the time ?
I listen to the radio (Tuneln Radio - I love this app) through the iPhone sometimes all day long and either plug it on my computer or on the wall outlet.
Is it possible the Battery "overcharges" and by doing so the life span is being reduced ?

Thanks for your advice

I have my phone on charge all night every night. I've done it with all my iPhones over the past 3 - 3 1/2 years. I've never had a problem...

same... unless if its like 100% or 98% then some times i leave it off the charger

My question is: it "hurts" the battery if i let the iphone plugged after the battery reach 100%?
And if i plug and unplug so many times during a day, its bad for battery's life?
Thanks and sorry for any mistake, i'm new here :)

Last edited:
No, your battery will be fine. Once it reaches 100%, it will set itself up to "trickle charge" so that it maintains that 100% charge. Theres no harm in that, it's how it was designed to work.

And, the same thing, it won't "hurt" it to be on and off of power throughout the day.

Batteries, as far as charging goes, have been tremendously improved. You'll be fine.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

No, your battery will be fine. Once it reaches 100%, it will set itself up to "trickle charge" so that it maintains that 100% charge. Theres no harm in that, it's how it was designed to work.

And, the same thing, it won't "hurt" it to be on and off of power throughout the day.

Batteries, as far as charging goes, have been tremendously improved. You'll be fine.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

I'm good now. It's because we're talking about a iPhone, my dream until a month ago, so i'm really carefull.
Other question, i realized that the battery in the first day was weak (reached 20% in 4~5 hours i guess), but after the battery improved remarkably . It means the battery is going to improve for a time yet?

hi
as i know all lithium battery need to be fullly reciycle of charge and this charing to improve time life.
i had got damge battary of laptop before due tio left in charging for 2 days.

hi
as i know all lithium battery need to be fullly reciycle of charge and this charing to improve time life.

That is incorrect. Lithium-Ion Batteries only require a deep cycle discharge to help reset the "SOFTWARE" portion of the device using it, not the battery itself. In fact you are better off keep the battery out of Stage 1 charging as much as possible.

i had got damge battary of laptop before due tio left in charging for 2 days.

You had a defective battery or charger in the laptop. I keep my laptop on the charger for weeks at a time with zero issues.

That is incorrect. Lithium-Ion Batteries only require a deep cycle discharge to help reset the "SOFTWARE" portion of the device using it, not the battery itself. In fact you are better off keep the battery out of Stage 1 charging as much as possible.

You had a defective battery or charger in the laptop. I keep my laptop on the charger for weeks at a time with zero issues.
i thank you very much for you info ,is that the same for laptop battery >
as i said i conclude that from my damged laptop battery>

Droid Razor gets better battery life than the iPhone. boom.

ROTFL

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

That simply put has to be the funniest thing I have read today. Thanks for the laugh. You want to compare the Razr's 3300 mAH battery to a iPhone's 1420 mAH battery. Seriously?

Tell you what, lets have some fun since you have such a great sense of humor.

Want you to do a simple test. Use the Droid Razr until it shuts off automatically. IE run the battery out. Don't plug the device in for 12 hour after it shuts down. Then plug it in to the charger.

Please, try it. I can't wait for you to tell us your result.

*SPOILER ALERT with announcer voice over* :D
"What our victim doesn't know is the Droid Razr has a firmware bug that allows it to boot up before a proper charge is applied to the battery. So when the Android OS gets far enough into the boot process it detects a low battery which causes the phone to automatically shutdown. And since the phone is now on the charger the firmware reboots the phone and the process goes into an infinite loop."

Sadly, I am not trying to be funny, that is a real issue. Yeah, the Droid Razr is a real winner of a phone.

Surely it hurts. You should avoid charging your phone for over two hours. If you leave it plugged every night, it will surely degrade the battery and reduce its life. Also, use the original charger and never use car chargers.

Surely it hurts. You should avoid charging your phone for over two hours. If you leave it plugged every night, it will surely degrade the battery and reduce its life. Also, use the original charger and never use car chargers.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

First off, you are "suppose to" charge your phone for at least 2 hour after it reaches 100%. Once the phone has reached full capacity the current stops flowing to the phone, and only small burst of current will be generated to keep the phone at full charge.

Leaving your phone plugged in at night will most certainly "not" degrade your battery in any way shape or form. You are very miseducated about how the Lithium Ion battery works. I however can assure that i am very educated about how lithium Ion batteries work.

This is how Li-Ion batteries were designed.

Don't believe me? Google it...........You will find that leaving your phone plugged in causes no damage whatsoever. Only general usage over time causes damage.......But there is nothing anyone can do about that.

I've been using mobile phones powered by LiIon batteries for quite a while. I found that leaving them plugged in overnight doesn't degrade the overall life. The battery is designed to turn the power off and then trickle charge as needed.

ardchoille said:
I've been using mobile phones powered by LiIon batteries for quite a while. I found that leaving them plugged in overnight doesn't degrade the overall life. The battery is designed to turn the power off and then trickle charge as needed.

+1 ardchoille.........

Surely it hurts.

No it doesn't.

You should avoid charging your phone for over two hours.

You can leave your phone on a charger for 100 years.

If you leave it plugged every night, it will surely degrade the battery and reduce its life.

No it won't. You do more harm when the phone is in Stage 1 charging (0 to 85%) than you do from leaving it on the charger for the next 100 years.

Also, use the original charger and never use car chargers.

You can use ANY charger your want as long as it provides the proper amperage for the device being charged.

Seriously, you have a LOT of learning to do before you type up anything else on this subject matter.