What's new

Backup/Restore questions

radamo

Reaction score
I have a few questions about backups that will help me get my head around ios and how it works.
1. Is there a way to make multiple backups in iTunes, it seems to keep only one copy? So that I could have one from today, then a week from now etc...
2. Is it okay to restore a backup made while Jailbroken to a stock iphone if I ever decide to "unJailbreak"?

Thank you in advance for helping a newb out.

RA

1. Yes, the thing is that the backups are generated based on the name of the device, if you want to make incremental backups you would have to change the name of the device each time you wanted to backup.

2. I try to never restore from backup regardless, but especially not between major firmware revisions, however it should be fine to restore a backup generated from a jailbroken phone onto a stock phone.

1. Yes, the thing is that the backups are generated based on the name of the device, if you want to make incremental backups you would have to change the name of the device each time you wanted to backup.

Okay, I can see that would work. Good idea.

2. I try to never restore from backup regardless, but especially not between major firmware revisions, however it should be fine to restore a backup generated from a jailbroken phone onto a stock phone.

So do you reset up your phone between revisions?

Thanks,
RA

So do you reset up your phone between revisions?

Thanks,
RA

Every time I update or restore I set my device up as a new iPhone to keep from messing things up. I sync my contacts from iCloud and I sync my App settings with Appbackup, that way I never need to restore a backup and I always have a fresh restore.

Every time I update or restore I set my device up as a new iPhone to keep from messing things up. I sync my contacts from iCloud and I sync my App settings with Appbackup, that way I never need to restore a backup and I always have a fresh restore.

Appbackup looks like a good idea to install. I have really only installed iScheduler so far on my jailbroken phone. I really love the stability of the iphone and I don't want to compromise it if at all possible.
Thanks,
RA