What's new

Backing up new iPhone 4

Elliern

Reaction score
I have done a search on these forums on how to best back up my iPhone 4 that I have had for 2 weeks. I have not done a back up as yet. But I read in one of the posts that if I choose 'this is a new phone' when in iTunes, it will erase/delete all my data. The poster continues that it will give my phone a 'clean slate'. Does that mean I will lose all the apps I have downloaded? All the maps that are in my gps apps? All my books, etc?
I don't want to lose everything I spent so much time adding. But, it is a new iPhone.
Can someone tell me the best way to back up my phone and still keep everything that is currently on it?

Thanks so much.

I have ios 5.0.1. The phone already had iOS 5 when I bought it 2 weeks ago and I upgraded to the latest version yesterday.

So I have no choice but to lose everything on my phone in order to back it up? I wish I had known that before down
loading so many apps, maps, notes, addresses, etc. Will the app store allow me to download my apps again?
So since I will lose everything by backing it up, is there any reason to back up at all?

Last edited:
Every time you "sync" in iTunes... it creates a backup of everything on your phone. Just make sure you have your contacts stored in Google or Outlook and such. Update your phone as new... then when it's finished restore it w/ your backup. Hope that makes sense.

I am a little confused...if everything that is on my phone now is saved on iTunes when I back up, why would it wipe out everything on my phone when I backup?
Are you saying that after backing up on iTines, I then follow that up by doing a restore and all my apps, maps, etc will magically appear on my phone again?
Sorry to be asking so many questions, but this is all new to me. I do appreciate all the information.