What's new

Auto Correct Help

that feature is defaulted on, .
No. It's not. When auto correct turns off - it gets turned off too (at least it was that way in iOS4 and earlier - if it's default now -- that's an iOS5 thing). Turn it off and try typing normally on the touch screen.You will miss way more. Though I hear about the often ridiculous corrections it makes... and how embarrassing it can be to clients. Though I'm gonna guess here that Apple never was intending for their PDA's to be relied upon for business communications.. tee hee....

Last edited:
No. It's not. When auto correct turns off - it gets turned off too (at least it was that way in iOS4 and earlier - if it's default now -- that's an iOS5 thing). Turn it off and try typing normally on the touch screen.You will miss way more. Though I hear about the often ridiculous corrections it makes... and how embarrassing it can be to clients. Though I'm gonna guess here that Apple never was intending for their PDA's to be relied upon for business communications.. tee hee....

Hmmmmm! we will have to agree to disagree about the default, i know i hated it and it was a while in early days before i found it, i'm not jail broken and i upgraded from 4.7. BTW.

you you keep spell check on while having auto correct off, they are two different options in settings.

If you miss type you tap on the error it then offers you a choice. matter of personal choice I find that far better than you enter a space and risk rediculous phrases being produced.

Hmmmmm! we will have to agree to disagree about the default, i know i hated it and it was a while in early days before i found it, i'm not jail broken and i upgraded from 4.7. BTW.

you you keep spell check on while having auto correct off, they are two different options in settings.

If you miss type you tap on the error it then offers you a choice. matter of personal choice I find that far better than you enter a space and risk rediculous phrases being produced.
Spell check has nothing to do with it, as you say, they're separate settings. I'm only referring to auto correct (the offering of a pop up word it thinks you want) and the aspect of auto correct that ALSO changes the size of adjacent keys not possibly in the word you're typing. Those two aspect are BOTH auto correct features. Turn off auto correct and you'll also lose the keys size changes which makes typing on the touch pad a whole new game. Those two things are NOT separate settings, one default on (as you claimed) and one switchable. Auto correct is a '2 fold function'. Turn it off and both go away. At least on every OS up to 5.

testerwannabe said:
Spell check has nothing to do with it, as you say, they're separate settings. I'm only referring to auto correct (the offering of a pop up word it thinks you want) and the aspect of auto correct that ALSO changes the size of adjacent keys not possibly in the word you're typing. Those two aspect are BOTH auto correct features. Turn off auto correct and you'll also lose the keys size changes which makes typing on the touch pad a whole new game. Those two things are NOT separate settings, one default on (as you claimed) and one switchable. Auto correct is a '2 fold function'. Turn it off and both go away. At least on every OS up to 5.

if spell check really has nothing to do with it - why is it auto correct will often insert non dictionary or at best very obscure words?

all going to be down to personal preferences as to which is best, i tend to compose the letter before caring for spellings to much, then i proof read it before sending, this saves time on complex compositions which may well change several times.

often during editing i find i will accidentally join 2 words, usually because i miss the space bar and hit a bottom row character, thats more on the iPhone4 than iPad2, but than on the ipad2 i catch keys accidentally with my middle finger :(.

i watched 'dragons den' a few months back, guy had designed a replacement key set shape, they were triangular so had more space between keys, but still offer a good 'target' area. he got shown the door but i think he was onto something good.