What's new

Auto Correct Help

imronburgundy

Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass an autocorrect word that is popping up half-way through typing a word. I don't want to turn off auto-correct completely, I just want to know if there's a way to continue with my word that is not in the phone's dictionary without having to erase the auto corrected word and retyping. TIA.

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but you could try creating a shortcut for the word you want to type. Go into Settings > General > Keyboard > Add New Shortcut... and type what word you want to type as the shortcut, and the word. It should recognize that as something that isn't "auto-correctable" after that.

imronburgundy said:
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass an autocorrect word that is popping up half-way through typing a word. I don't want to turn off auto-correct completely, I just want to know if there's a way to continue with my word that is not in the phone's dictionary without having to erase the auto corrected word and retyping. TIA.
When the auto correct word appears below or above the word your typing tap the X.

i turn auto correction and auto caps off, this still spell checks and underlines in wiggly red just like MS Word, tap and touch 'suggest' to choose the word you want, it, can even split words if you miss the space.

stops all the silly guesses it makes.

has the option to reset and clear the user dictionary disappeared in ios5?

iCrank said:
Was that ever a feature.

Yes, found it GENERAL/RESET/reset keyboard dictionary.

Deletes ALL your learned mistakes but also those you wanted to keep - ie no edit feature :(

crowd pleaser said:
Yes, found it GENERAL/RESET/reset keyboard dictionary.

Deletes ALL your learned mistakes but also those you wanted to keep - ie no edit feature :(

Nice. Wish there was a edit feature.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Me to, i have many non dictionary words and acronyms i use in my trade, to easy to add one wrongly in a text and then you can't remove or edit it without loosing the lot.

Surprised not yet seen an app for this problem - well afaik.

Well, just realized that you can just click the little x that pops up on the replacement word.

imronburgundy said:
Well, just realized that you can just click the little x that pops up on the replacement word.

Tbh i turn it off, you still get the wiggly line underneath, and you can choose from a selection. stops all the stupid words it auto replaces them with.

I will warn those who want to turn off autocorrect that doing so will also turn of a very handy feature of 'limiting letters' when you're typing fast. I'm always surprised by how many people don't remember the original ads for the iPhone featuring one of it's most amazing features being that: only when AutoCorrect is turned on, it searches in nanoseconds, as you're typing, the "likely words" you're going to type next from the first few characters and it actually "diminishes the size of the keys" for letters that "couldn't possibly be next". So after "aw____" the "g" key gets slightly smaller than the "f" key since there are no words with "awg...." (just guessing here, by way of example). When I tried to turn off auto correct I quickly noticed what a bad typer I was since the "possible next character" algorithm built into the iOS keyboard system also gets turned off.

And no - you can't see this "letters getting smaller" aspect in real time. It happen when you're accessing the keyboard in normal speed. The moment a few nano seconds go by before you've hit the next key - the keyboard image returns to normal size.

I hate some of the choices AutoCorrect gives (and sticks in right before I hit SEND on a text-!#@$) just as much as the next person. But I literally was losing so much time editing my own typing when I tried to turn it off.

testerwannabe said:
I will warn those who want to turn off autocorrect that doing so will also turn of a very handy feature of 'limiting letters' when you're typing fast. I'm always surprised by how many people don't remember the original ads for the iPhone featuring one of it's most amazing features being that: only when AutoCorrect is turned on, it searches in nanoseconds, as you're typing, the "likely words" you're going to type next from the first few characters and it actually "diminishes the size of the keys" for letters that "couldn't possibly be next". So after "aw____" the "g" key gets slightly smaller than the "f" key since there are no words with "awg...." (just guessing here, by way of example). When I tried to turn off auto correct I quickly noticed what a bad typer I was since the "possible next character" algorithm built into the iOS keyboard system also gets turned off.

And no - you can't see this "letters getting smaller" aspect in real time. It happen when you're accessing the keyboard in normal speed. The moment a few nano seconds go by before you've hit the next key - the keyboard image returns to normal size.

I hate some of the choices AutoCorrect gives (and sticks in right before I hit SEND on a text-!#@$) just as much as the next person. But I literally was losing so much time editing my own typing when I tried to turn it off.

that feature is defaulted on, imho the 'advantage' is totally underwhelming against the crazy replacement texts it offers, often non dictionary words or very obscure ones. i run a small business the replacements can get embarrassing when typing quick replies to very important clients, denudes you of the air of professionalism you trying to assure the client with.

might work fine if your nearly faultless with diction, but i'm not, just like many many others.