What's new

Atomic colors currently available:

I have done a bit more testing and my results are conclusive almost across the board.

Atomic Case with my fix: is only reading 2-4dB less than with out a case on the phone at all.

Atomic Case w/o any fix: 10-20dB lower reading than w/o a case

Standard Apple Bumper: 2dB or so less than w/o a case

Griffin Graphite Case: 2-3dB less than w/o a case.

This has been across the board, on my Micro Cell, on Edge, and on 3G. There have only been 2 instances when I was in practically a bunker of a building that I had ZERO service with the Atomic case on, and a hint of service with either No case, or the apple bumper installed. However buildings do crazy things, and where I was located was on a Edge network, in the basement of the library at my college in the computer center. Sooo I am assuming it may be the computers adding to the problem.

Next I am going to try 3-4 layers of automotive clear coat on the inside and outside of the case. This may be just enough to fix the issue as well. I know Atomic is going to try something similar with an Aerospace technology finish. If this works out it will ensure there is never a problem again.

Just another update. Things are still working well with the case. Finish is holding up well tossing it in my picket, in my bookbag, center dash of the car, and around my workshop. Reception issues seem to be fixed. I think we have a real winner with this one.

The carbon fiber back is also holding up nicely! Zero scratches on it. And believe me I tried.

Hey Red in post #29 you were asking me if I own one, No I do not.
My buddy does and we were out together and his signal was just horrible. I know if you insulate the case it will work better but still Sucks.
I had the other brand and the fit and finish is ALOT better.
This is my last time talking about these cases, if it's metal and wraps around the antenna it's gonna degrade signal.
Common sense.
Glad yours is working out for you.

Hey Red in post #29 you were asking me if I own one, No I do not.
My buddy does and we were out together and his signal was just horrible. I know if you insulate the case it will work better but still Sucks.
I had the other brand and the fit and finish is ALOT better.
This is my last time talking about these cases, if it's metal and wraps around the antenna it's gonna degrade signal.
Common sense.
Glad yours is working out for you.
Kind of confused, you loved the Vapor in this post and now your dogging all metal cases including this one?/http://www.iphone4forum.net/forum/14400-post7.html

Last edited:
^when I had the Vapor for the first few days I was in a 5 bar area, usually at home. When I did travel further out with lower signal strength is when it came apparent that it degraded my signal.
I'm done with those type of cases and that's me.
Buy at your own risk.

It's funny how the first post of some people, are here to defend Aluminum cases .
Atleast introduce yourself in the new members thread first.
Makes me think there an employee for a certain company.
How sad

I did not mean to offend you at all I was just asking a question because I have a couple of aluminum cases on order and I was wondering why your mind changed so rapidly, that's all. No big deal.
It's funny how the first post of some people, are here to defend Aluminum cases .
Atleast introduce yourself in the new members thread first.
Makes me think there an employee for a certain company.
How sad

Sorry for sounding so harsh.
I'm done talking about these cases.
When you get your Vapor you'll see it's a quality piece compared to a copy cat one but for ME it just didn't work out.
Maybe you will have better luck.

BTW, I don't work for, get paid by, or am any way associated with Atomic Cases. I just happen to be a well educated individual who spent some time going to school for engineering. I have been working with Unni from Atomic cases to come up with a fix for the signal issue and we HAVE SOLVED IT!

Alright, after working with Atomic today on the issue we have come up with a fix for the signal issue. The fix itself was not hard at all, just took a bit of trial and error.

The first proposed fix was for me to use Super 88 3M tape and line the inside of the case with that to isolate the phone from the aluminum. Because the aluminum conducts it has the same problems the death grip gives the phone. Well after some careful cutting and trimming I got it to work. However it was very tedious work and not something that is easy for everyone to do.

So I dug through my garage and found some 3M Automotive Pinstripe that I had used on the grill of my Subaru to give it the S202 look. It was a perfect fit! Fit nicely inside the channel and just hit the sides enough to isolate the phone from the case properly. So again I applied it to the inside of the case, around the entire thing, carefully trimming around the openings, and I made a slight overlap where the screws are. This fix 100% solved my problems.

To prove that it was working I did several things.

1) Tested the phone in my house with the Micro-Cell w/o Case
2) Tested my phone outside the range of my Micro-Cell w/o Case
3) Tested my phone in my house with the Micro-Cell w/ Factory Apple Bumper Case
4) Tested my phone outside the range of my Micro-Cell w/ Factory Apple Bumper Case
5) Tested my phone inside my house with the Micro-Cell with the Atomic Case
6) Tested my phone outside the range of my Micro-Cell with the Atomic Case
7) Tested my phone inside my house with the Micro-Cell, Atomic Case, and Pinstripe fix
8) Tested my phone outside the range of my Micro-Cell, Atomic Case, and Pinstripe fix

Here are the Results:

Inside House With Micro Cell:
W/O Case Apple Approved Grip: Between -48 and -71 dB depending on location
W/O Case Giving Death Grip: Between -85 and -95 "" ""
W/ Apple Bumper: Between -50 and -73 dB "" ""
W/ Atomic Case no fix: Between -81 and -90dB "" ""
W/ Atomic Case and Fix: Between -49 and -73dB "" ""

So as you can see with the fix I am only getting a 1-2 dB loss depending on my location in the house. Both where taken from marked spots. One With Full bars 10ft away from Micro Cell, one upstairs and about 75 feet away form the micro cell -1 bar from full, and outside in my garage -2 bar from full about 200 ft from micro cell.

I also tested the phone phone with the Griffin case installed and my readings where between
-56 and -83 dB. Which was worse than both the Apple bumper and the Atomic Case!
Testing on Edge Network to follow:
Initial reading showing between -1 and -2dB worse signal with the Atomic case and Fix on the phone than with no case at all, and the same results as with the Apple Bumper.

Testing on 3G Network to follow:

The FIX FROM ATOMIC:

After talking to Unni he has made the decision to go with a similar fix. Using a inlay on the case that will be die cut to fit the case and isolate the phone from the case. They will be the only Aluminum case so far with this. The little foam bumpers in in the Element case will not allow total isolation. So he has already been in contact with a place that can make the inlays for him and all the new cases will be shipping with this liner within DAYS!

If you already have a case and are having problems I am sure if you contact Unni at Atomic he will send you out a set of isolators for your phone if not better. Just please contact him, let him know your issue, and he will address it as soon as the isolators are available to him.

But no fear ladies and gents. There is a TOTAL FIX in the works, not just a band-aid like I made. It will be an exact match to the cut outs in the case so there will be no issues with it not isolating your phone.

Pics of my test fix:
photo2-2.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

Unni also assured me that he will be taking care of the customer from London who had similar problems. The issue with my headphones was addressed as well. It was something wrong with the adapter I was using on my headphones from my old 3G iPhone.

so according to your testings apple original rubber bumper works just as good as the atomic case with the pin stripe. I always wondered if the apple bumper was any good at all, I guess it is.

So far it works for me and my tests have been consistent. However others are saying there are still issues. We will have to see what the final answer is.

Overall the end call has to be made by the end user. In areas where you have high strength signal all the time I don't really see any loss in signal with or with out the case. In areas where signal is iffy I see a small loss in signal till I apply my "fix". I am anxious to see and test new fixes in the pipeline.

When ordering this product, i go to select the backplate, it appears the only option for the color of the backplate is like a blue color. I wanted the black/brushed setup with the black backplate with the apple logo? what do i need to click? Thanks

When ordering this product, i go to select the backplate, it appears the only option for the color of the backplate is like a blue color. I wanted the black/brushed setup with the black backplate with the apple logo? what do i need to click? Thanks

It is black. The picture just looks a bit blue for some reason.

I got mine in Black....Looks Sweet when I put it the phone...Problem is, it kills my signal when I put it on.....:(

Do you have the new design? The one with the vented sides? If you don't, email them and ask for a replacement.

Do you have the new design? The one with the vented sides? If you don't, email them and ask for a replacement.

Is that design out yet?

If so, any news on the signal issues with this new design?