What's new

AT&T Throttling 3G Upload Speeds?

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
308ikpi.jpg

AT&T, the self-described "nation's fastest 3G network" may not be so fast anymore, as there have been rumors suggesting that AT&T has begun throttling 3G speeds across multiple regions. Although there has been no official statement yet by AT&T, these reports have sparked an uproar over at the Macrumors forum, noting "ten-fold" decreases in upload speed. When in the past, users were accustomed to 1Mbps upload speeds, seem to now be capped at 100kbps.

The list of affected areas so far include
NYC, Central Jersey, Boston, Orlando, Seattle, South Jersey/Philly, Columbus, Cleveland, West Houston, Phoenix, Northern Colorado, St. Paul/Minesota, Suffolk County/Long Island, Quad Cities, South Jersey, Denver, Detroit Metro, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Fairfax and Minneapolis
This is certainly not a way to win over consumers, but then again AT&T doesn't seem to have a great track record in that regard. Remember, AT&T was the first major carrier to drop unlimited data plans, despite having arguably the worst coverage in the nation. Not to mention the reception issues with the Iphone 4 when "holding it the wrong way."

The idea of 3G throttling may not come as a huge surprise to some. If you may recall, back in October 2009 during CTIA, AT&T Wireless CEO Ralph De la Vega hinted at the possibility of throttling 3G speeds or data (via PCWorld):
3 percent of AT&T's smartphone customers use 40 percent of all smartphone data, that they consume 13 times the data of "the average smartphone customer," yet represent less than 1 percent of AT&T’s total postpaid customer base... "we have to manage the network to make sure that the few cannot crowd out the many,” De la Vega continued
So I guess this is one way to relieve some stress on AT&Ts network.

Have you experienced a throttling of your upload speeds? Let us know.

via Slashgear
Source: Macrumors

Last edited:
so the 3g will be faster for every one trying to download and view website instead of people uploading huge files to youtube at the same time

Updated OP with De la Vega's keynote speech from CTIA 09

I'm in San Francisco and have not experienced slower speeds (knock on wood)

i dident know you could do that on the iphone.. im gonna try it now

i try put speedtest.net on safari and it opens apple store damn it :mad:@ how do you do it???

well i found it but its so annoying that i cant just browse and directly upload from the iphone or that when i did a screen shot the pic was not there on the usb internal storage thing, so i had to email it lol.. but i havent setup with itunes yet so maybe thats why. but anyway here is my 3g..

not sure how many times im going to use this speedtest app but oh well

Attachments

• $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 562
well i found it but its so annoying that i cant just browse and directly upload from the iphone or that when i did a screen shot the pic was not there on the usb internal storage thing, so i had to email it lol.. but i havent setup with itunes yet so maybe thats why. but anyway here is my 3g..

Use photobucket App.... just copy the IMG link. Super Easy ;)

Use photobucket App.... just copy the IMG link. Super Easy ;)

Ty your a life saver I been looking so long for an app that can do that, made a new account but it does not do multi tasking. Oh well

745176ad.jpg

Last edited: