What's new

AT&T fixes slow 3G upload speeds, explains it wasn't intentional

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
308ikpi.jpg

Over the past month or so, many user have been complaining of slowed upstream speeds on their AT&T smartphones. Some went as far as to say that AT&T deliberately began to throttle upload speeds to (underhandedly) accommodate for its overburdened 3G network. And this problem seemed widespread, as many users noticed their upload speeds had dropped ten-fold from 1Mbps to under 100kbps. Well, AT&T had remained mum on the topic, until today. AT&T released a public statement, explaining that the whole situation was just one big mix-up; it was all due to a software malfunction in their Alcatel-Lucent equipment. Anyway, AT&T stated that they applied the appropriate software patches, and remedied the situation:

AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent jointly identified a software defect — triggered under certain conditions – that impacted uplink performance for Laptop Connect and smartphone customers using 3G HSUPA-capable wireless devices in markets with Alcatel-Lucent equipment. This impacts less than two percent of our wireless customer base. While Alcatel-Lucent develops the appropriate software fix, we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices.

So, has anyone recently noticed improvements in their 3G upload speeds? Let us know.

via MobileCrunch

Didn't notice any difference but I'm in a fringe area using wireless from my home. No idea who supplies the equipment here.

Ohhh so thats why it took so long to upload a 1min vid to youtube via pixelpipe..i tried it a couple days ago and it said it would take over 1000min to finish so i was like ok forget it!! Ill test it out next time im On 3g

I noticed the slow 3g response on my iphone and my friend's ipad last June. I used my Sprint MiFi for both and it was way faster than the AT&T 3g. I'll have to do another test.