What's new

Apple’s $29 iPhone Battery Replacement Program Has Already Started

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple's battery replacement program starts sooner than expected.JPG

Following Apple’s recent apology and announcement of a $29 out-of-warranty battery replacement program for iPhone 6 and later users, TechCrunch reports that they are already available. Initially it wasn’t expected that replacing the batteries would be possible until later this month, but in the following statement, Apple told TechCrunch that it had been able to bring the program forward.

“We expected to need more time to be ready,” said Apple. “But we are happy to offer our customers the lower pricing right away. Initial supplies of some replacement batteries may be limited.”

And while Apple deals with this issues as quickly as it can, other companies have been equally quick to capitalise on the company’s woes, including rivals such as Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola, who have all made it known that they do not slow down older handsets in the way that Apple has admitted to doing.

At the same time, iFixit has also announced that it is now offering its iPhone battery replacement kit for a discounted price of $29, which covers older models as well as the newer models covered by Apple’s official replacement scheme.

Image source: Apple apologizes, but continues to fight against Right to Repair

Source: Apple’s $29 iPhone battery replacements are available starting today

No excuse, Apple. You should charge us for free! NO EXCUSE!
All lithium batteries degrade as they age and are no longer able to hold the same charge as when new. Why do you think Apple should give away free battery replacements for a battery that wore out in normal service. Do you believe that the batteries in an iPhone should not obey the laws of physics and last forever?

That's not what I mean about the laws of physics and last forever. What they does to us is damage and they should provide us at no charge to replace it. Not discounted it. They just want to come after our money for their richness and wealth.

That's not what I mean about the laws of physics and last forever. What they does to us is damage and they should provide us at no charge to replace it. Not discounted it. They just want to come after our money for their richness and wealth.
Helping devices work longer is not damage, on the contrary.

When a battery in another device (Samsung, e.g.) has to be replaced, it’s not free of charge.

Last edited:
Batteries are considered a consumable item by every company that sells battery powered devices. The recent lawsuits against Apple are solely about money and have nothing do with the reality of the situation.

Does the recall affect iPhone 7's ? It says 6 and later.........but does that mean 6 , 6S and 7 etc...

Or 6, 6S, 5, 5S etc....

I tried calling Apple help line 2x and after being on hold for 20 minutes each time I hung up.

And I called my local Apple store and they never answered either.

Does the recall affect iPhone 7's ? It says 6 and later.........but does that mean 6 , 6S and 7 etc...

Or 6, 6S, 5, 5S etc....

I tried calling Apple help line 2x and after being on hold for 20 minutes each time I hung up.

And I called my local Apple store and they never answered either.

6 and 6 Plus, 6S and 6S Plus, 7 and 7 Plus

Maybe l’m thick, but if l understand correctly you want a free battery from Apple. Along with all the other owners of these 6/7 iPhones not thinking about if it needs one or not.
Just because Apple didn’t warn owners that iOS 11 would put more strain on the battery. To my thinking it would not have mattered either way what Apple said, the most of owners would have ignored any warning and loaded iOS 11. Just to see how it performed and if they could get away with it.

Being an owner of a 5s the last of the list, l used my brain a little this time, ah No benefits to me, just more stress on my battery. Don’t want it.

I am annoyed with Apple that l can’t get the Security Updates. But l can’t Take them Court

Hi read somewhere that Apple were not checking for this anymore. One of them Rumour things yesterday

I read the same thing. Previously, they were doing a systems check to see if the battery had degraded.
But then I read that they are replacing all of them for $29 regardless of their condition.

I don't understand why they can't issue a new update that reverts to the old standard and give people the option of using the current update which extends the life of the battery but slows down the performance. Too easy.....

What irritates me the most is that I have called the Apple help line twice and the local Apple store twice and no one has answered.

I even tried the online chat option with Apple and no one replied.

Perhaps they are just overwhelmed.

I think I will just wait a while and see what happens.

The offer remains until 31 December so I have plenty of time.

I read the same thing. Previously, they were doing a systems check to see if the battery had degraded.
But then I read that they are replacing all of them for $29 regardless of their condition.

I don't understand why they can't issue a new update that reverts to the old standard and give people the option of using the current update which extends the life of the battery but slows down the performance. Too easy.....

What irritates me the most is that I have called the Apple help line twice and the local Apple store twice and no one has answered.

I even tried the online chat option with Apple and no one replied.

Perhaps they are just overwhelmed.

I think I will just wait a while and see what happens.

The offer remains until 31 December so I have plenty of time.
If they did offer an iOS update that removed the throttling feature I'm sure that there would be no shortage of people who would sue because their iPhone keeps shutting down if it has a worn out battery. It seems that no matter what Apple does, there are some out there who think Apple is to blame for everything bad or inconvenient that happens to their devices.
As to why do people seem to sue Apple more than other cellphone manufacturers, they get more publicity when they sue Apple.

Reactions: 933
If the battery is degraded enough to affect performance.
They’ll replace the battery of these devices, even if it’s working without problems.

And afaik, they intend to provide an update that will give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone's battery.