What's new

Applecare+ vs Verizon insurance

Being a new Verizon iPhone owner I checked this link for AppleCare
iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)
Kind of surprised to read:

Not real sure of the cutoff dates they have?...
I purchased mine at Verizon yesterday and was offered the Asurion for 10.99 which I declined.
Was never given the choice/opportunity to buy Apple Care at all.
Guess I'll call in the morning and ask if it applies to Verizon sales.

It applies, i got mine through Verizon, too! You need to call Apple to purchase it. Verizon doesn't sell it. I would call asap though. They are being a little bit lax about the purchase date, but you want to be covered asap.

It applies, i got mine through Verizon, too! You need to call Apple to purchase it. Verizon doesn't sell it. I would call asap though. They are being a little bit lax about the purchase date, but you want to be covered asap.

Thanks. I just called them and purchased their Apple Care+

I specifically asked about coverage. They DO cover water damage. They DO NOT cover theft or loss.

Works for me. :)

it seems to me that squaretrade's coverage of accidents like water and spills makes that the best option. It's only $99.

They'll cover hardware issues as well.

The only way you are left exposed is if you have a major software issue after your 1yr apple warranty is done. But then yet, what in the world makes you think that your apple device is going to have a big software issue after a year with no problems?

Anyone familiar with Securranty ? i saw link on this site. sounds like great coverage... here what they offer.

2 year price $99.00
mechanical/electrical failure yes
accident damage/handling ADH yes
loss and theft LT yes
Full Immersion liquid yes
Deductible ADH $50.00
# of claims 3 a year

anyone hear familiar with this company? sounds better than what others were mentioned ??

Best buy - 15/mo
Unlimited claims
Free battery replacement after a year
Covers everything but lost/stolen
0$ DEDUCTIBLE

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

ive had insurance on all smartphones ive had but it was 4.99 not 10.99. even though i dropped 3 of my 5 storm 2's i wiill take extra care of the 4s cause these insurance prices are unreal, they make it almost like its a car

Best buy - 15/mo
Unlimited claims
Free battery replacement after a year
Covers everything but lost/stolen
0$ DEDUCTIBLE

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

You better look closer. The word going round is that Best Buy will NOT cover water damage either. Many complaints (on their forum) that they are told water damage is covered, only to find that they will not cover water at time of claim.

Thank you everyone for the info on the warranties. I think I am wanting to go with Squaretrade... Going to sign up tomorrow and cancel this I have with Verizon!

JohnT said:
I could be mistaken, but as I understand it, the main difference between AppleCare+ and Asurion through Verizon is warranty coverage. Both cover theft and damage and such, but with AppleCare, the Apple warranty continues as long as you keep paying. The standard Apple warranty is 1 year, so if you opt for Asurion, the Apple warranty would expire after a year.

I ordered mine today, and I thought the Verizon rep said that I could Activate AppleCare any time within the 1st year, so I opted for the cheaper Asurion coverage and will consider upgrading to AppleCare later. It's only a couple bucks per month difference, but I figured why pay it if I don't have to?

AppleCare + is a one time $99 charge and its for 2 yrs., for the iPhone 4S you do not have a year to get it (that's the way the old AppleCare plan was but can't get that for iPhone 4S). When you buy the phone you must buy the AC+.

Main difference is the $49 deductible for AC+ for two damage incidents, cracked screen, water, etc. and AC+ does not cover theft or loss likes some of the phone companies. But they have higher deductibles.

Carrier insurance is the one you have as long as you pay.

escandc said:
Here's my best summary I can come up with...hope others can improve on it:

Verizon Assurion:
*COST: $10.99/month for iPhone = $263.76 over the next 24 months
*CLAIMS: $0 in first year for any failures with the device itself (standard 1 year warranty for defects)
"Accidental Handling" = $169 for 16GB / $199 for 32GB / Not sure for 64GB, I didn't ask the representative
Max of up to twice a year = 4 claims in 24 months available, no coverage after that
*Covers theft and water damage (covers anything)
*No true tech support from Apple/Apple Stores except for first 90 days, just standard Verizon support

AppleCare+:
*COST: $99.00 as a one-time fee to cover 24 months
*CLAIMS: $0 during this TWO year period for any failures with the device itself
"Accidental handling" = $49 for any iPhone
Only 2 claims in 24 months available at that price, $199 after that for any iPhone
*Does NOT cover theft or water damage (covers everything else)
*Complete tech support from Apple/Apple Stores during entire 2 year period

Anyone help me out if I've made some mistakes...

Thanks. :)

AppleCare+ DOES include water.

mhawk said:
Being a new Verizon iPhone owner I checked this link for AppleCare
iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)
Kind of surprised to read:

Not real sure of the cutoff dates they have?...
I purchased mine at Verizon yesterday and was offered the Asurion for 10.99 which I declined.
Was never given the choice/opportunity to buy Apple Care at all.
Guess I'll call in the morning and ask if it applies to Verizon sales.

Call Apple Care 800-275-2273 you may be able to get it. But call ASAP, think 11/14 was cut off for people who didn't get it. And you can tell them you wasn't offered. If say no. Return the phone and rebuy... As long as within either 14 or 30 days, depend on carrier.

I think many people here should be looking and comparing with Ensquared and SquareTrade. They're both great companies with good insurance options that are far more logical than Asurion.

Got appleCare today. The store is only a mile from my house. Cancelled asurion. Never realized ow much I was spending per month

iNurse said:
Got appleCare today. The store is only a mile from my house. Cancelled asurion. Never realized ow much I was spending per month

Ugh, Asurion. I had so many problems with them. I'd rather be uninsured than insured through them. In fact, I was for a while.

So many better options out there.