What's new

Applecare+ vs Verizon insurance

dawnstacie

Reaction score
Hi All-
I am planning on ordering the Iphone tomorrow and am new to the whole new apple world (except an ipod). What is the difference between applecare+ and verizon insurance. I know that if I want the applecare I have to order it with the phone. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Thanks!!

I could be mistaken, but as I understand it, the main difference between AppleCare+ and Asurion through Verizon is warranty coverage. Both cover theft and damage and such, but with AppleCare, the Apple warranty continues as long as you keep paying. The standard Apple warranty is 1 year, so if you opt for Asurion, the Apple warranty would expire after a year.

I ordered mine today, and I thought the Verizon rep said that I could Activate AppleCare any time within the 1st year, so I opted for the cheaper Asurion coverage and will consider upgrading to AppleCare later. It's only a couple bucks per month difference, but I figured why pay it if I don't have to?

I did a little more research, it turns out applecare+ (which is different from applecare) needs to be purchased with the phone and is for TWO years. It is $99, which is a lot cheaper than Assurion. It does not cover theft, but if the phone breaks it is a lot cheaper to replace.

Sorry for the misinformation! I should've confirmed before posting. What I was looking at wasn't AppleCare. It was just Asurion Protection with an extended warranty vs without. I thought the Verizon guy told me the extended warranty was through Apple, but I must've been mistaken.

If I remember correctly, the deductible with Asurion is $169 for the 16GB iPhone 4S and $199 for the 32GB. AppleCare+ has a processing fee of $49 for replacement for "Accidental Damage from Handling".

I'm pretty good about keeping my electronics secure, so theft isn't that big of a concern for me. If it's not too late, maybe I'll go for AppleCare+.

Glad to read this. I just preordered and include the regular old Verizon extended warranty - $2/mo. I might get AppleCare also or instead. I've been pleased with AppleCare on my iPad. That $99 paid off since I was brand new to Apple and iTunes.

OTOH, I've had good experience with Verizon extended warranties -- just walk into a store and get it replaced or they send you another in the mail. What more will AppleCare+ give you?

Last edited:
Glad to read this. I just preordered and include the regular old Verizon extended warranty - $2/mo. I might get AppleCare also or instead. I've been pleased with AppleCare on my iPad. That $99 paid off since I was brand new to Apple and iTunes.

OTOH, I've had good experience with Verizon extended warranties -- just walk into a store and get it replaced or they send you another in the mail. What more will AppleCare+ give you?

***I just left a Verizon store and the representative told me that Assurion on the iPhone 4S will be $10.99 per month, which is $263.76 over the next 2 years (if we're comparing the same timeframe of coverage for AppleCare+). AppleCare+ is a one-time fee of $99 (which is a $164.76 savings). Next, when you make a claim with Assurion, it is the $169 for the 16GB, and $199 for the 32GB, as noted in an above post. She tried to tell me that Apple's program is $199 no matter what. That is not true. AppleCare+ adds the advantage that if the phone breaks for accidential handling, it's only a $49 processing fee (as confirmed by another post above). I plan on getting the 32GB model, so I'm going to save $150 right away if I drop it and break it; if I go with AppleCare+. The bad part is that it's only 2 times in that 2 year period. Finally, AppleCare+ provides the tech support Verizon cannot for 2 years. I don't need help using the phone, but some people might.

The ONLY thing Assurion has an advantage over Apple is that Assurion will cover water damage and theft. I believe the AppleCare+ does not. Apple believes that you should take advantage of the "find my iPhone" app if the phone is lost.

So if you plan on getting robbed, tend to lose things easily, or like to be around a lot of water or drinks, Assurion, while more expensive, give you coverage. For the average person, AppleCare+ will save you hundreds in the event of a claim.

Here is a great article that sums up AppleCare+, besides just going to Apple's website and reading over it word for word:
AppleCare+ and the iPhone 4S: What You Need to Know | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Good luck in everyone's decision!!! :)

Here's my best summary I can come up with...hope others can improve on it:

Verizon Assurion:
*COST: $10.99/month for iPhone = $263.76 over the next 24 months
*CLAIMS: $0 in first year for any failures with the device itself (standard 1 year warranty for defects)
"Accidental Handling" = $169 for 16GB / $199 for 32GB / Not sure for 64GB, I didn't ask the representative
Max of up to twice a year = 4 claims in 24 months available, no coverage after that
*Covers theft and water damage (covers anything)
*No true tech support from Apple/Apple Stores except for first 90 days, just standard Verizon support

AppleCare+:
*COST: $99.00 as a one-time fee to cover 24 months
*CLAIMS: $0 during this TWO year period for any failures with the device itself
"Accidental handling" = $49 for any iPhone
Only 2 claims in 24 months available at that price, $199 after that for any iPhone
*Does NOT cover theft or water damage (covers everything else)
*Complete tech support from Apple/Apple Stores during entire 2 year period

Anyone help me out if I've made some mistakes...

Thanks. :)

Hmm Sprint says they wont insure it at all. When i ordered mine it said that it would drop insurance off your plan when the phone is activated.

So where does aftermarket companies like ensquared fit into this. From the little bit of reading that I have done, it appears that ensquared has accidental coverage which covers water damage and can also cover lost or stolen. It looks like the coverage is $89 for 2 years with a $50 deductible and you can make up to 3 claims. It also states that 90% of the timeout will receive a new phone and not a refurbished one. Is this too good to be true or are there catches? I'm asking because I will receive my very first iPhone tomorrow and I'm not familiar with this stuff. I'm coming from a Droid X. I will also say that I think Verizon's $199 deductible is rediculous. Thanks

Try best buy as well. 15/mo for iphone. Or 228 outright.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

So here is a question that I have regarding AppleCare+. I was reading through the fine print regarding AppleCare+ and found this:

(2) Service Events. ADH coverage only applies to operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Equipment as intended for such Covered Equipment.

So what exactly does it mean when it says that it covers liquid contact? From the way it sounds, they will cover the phone if it gets wet but not if the phone gets submerged, and would they be able to tell if it has been submerged? Sorry for the questions, I am just trying to figure this out and make the best choice.

Go to Walmart $20 buy a case the rubber one for the drops thats going to happen. If you have a case you wouldn't need your warranty except for when its about to expire. Oh get some plastic protection to go on the front of the phone they last about a year.

Being a new Verizon iPhone owner I checked this link for AppleCare
iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)
Kind of surprised to read:

How to get AppleCare+ AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:
  • Pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) or iPhone 4S
  • Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)

Contact us at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+.

Not real sure of the cutoff dates they have?...
I purchased mine at Verizon yesterday and was offered the Asurion for 10.99 which I declined.
Was never given the choice/opportunity to buy Apple Care at all.
Guess I'll call in the morning and ask if it applies to Verizon sales.