What's new

Apple to Sell Unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those of you in the U.S. are going to be absolutely green with envy once you read this news. I know I am. Imagine having an iPhone 4 and being able to choose your own provider – without resorting to jailbreaking the device. That’s exactly what customers in Canada are now going to be allowed to do. Apple has announced that when the iPhone 4 begins selling this Friday in Canada, customers will be able to choose from amongst the three main wireless providers: Bell, Rogers and Telus. Canadians can order their device through the Apple stores or at the provider locations.

Amit Kaminer, an analyst with The SeaBoard Group telecommunications consultancy, said that “Having no contract? Some might say that you can’t put a value on freedom.” If Canadians buy the phone directly from an Apple store, it will be unlocked and contract-free. Users can then shop around for the wireless deal that best suits their needs and budget. The problem is, though, that the cost of the phone is a dramatic increase over what it runs in the United States. The 16GB model will sell for $659 while the 32GB version will cost $779.

Apple is also selling the 3GS with 8GB of storage in Canada for about $549. This version is unlocked, as well, and offers the same benefit to consumers wishing to choose their own provider. These moves put a higher value on the iPhone 4 inside of Canada than it has in the United States.

With so many rumors running around the Internet lately as to exactly whom will receive an iPhone contract here in the USA, I can’t help but wonder if Apple is planning a similar move here. Can you even begin to imagine buying an iPhone and choosing the carrier YOU want to use – with no jailbreaking or unlocking required? What are your thoughts? Will Apple take the ultimate plunge and do this here?

That would be awesome if that happened in the US!!! The fam and I are transitioning from T-Mobile to AT&T over the next few months, so that we can each have the iPhone 4. The termination fee by T-Mobile, if we were to all cancel today, is $700! It's crazy, because the iPhone 4 uses the GSM network, which is what T-Mobile operates on. If we could just buy the phone and stay with T-Mobile, that would be lovely! We're certainly not paying the termination fee, which is why we're transitioning over the next few months.

On a somewhat related note, I randomly came across this site today:
Your best source for unlocked Apple iPhone 4!

I wish I could confirm it's legit!!!

When you have a site that your not sure about... Look for odd buttons. As for that site right next to the order button is one called "report abuse". It takes you to wofoo... An HTML building site not a place to report "abuse". Scam ;)