What's new

New iphone 4, locked to Vodafone Network, unlock options?

reeksy86

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice,

I have a new iphone 4, and it is currently locked to the vodafone network, i have contacted vodafone and they have told me that as i have a contract with them, that they are unwilling to unlock it for me to use a different network.

Now the contract i have is obviously based on the sim card and phone number and has nothing to do with which phone i am using.

Is there any way i can get the iphone 4 unlocked so i can use it on the o2 network, or is my only option to jailbreak it.

I have spoken to apple, they are willing to unlock the phone, but the request has to come from the carrier provider, not the customer.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm assuming you recently go the phone? If so you will have 4.2.1 firmware on it so therefore a basband that isn't unlockable at the moment...

yes it is on 4.2.1 any ideas if new software is coming out soon for it? Or is there a way I can get it legally unlocked although vodaphone are saying they can't do it?

I can't see there being one for a while. There still isn't an unlock for the previous baseband to yours. Although it's most likely that one will be skipped now.

Vodafone won't do it until your contract is over or you buy yourself out of it. You would be cheaper buying a factory unlocked one than doing that...

Well it seems that vodafone are the only provider in the uk to forcebyou to complete the contract with them before they provide with an unlock code for a phone that you own! I am struggling to see there readon for this as I still have my contract and will still continue with it, as I have no choice. Surely someone must have come up with a way round it by now?

Just spoken to o2, and they dont have an issue with unlocking iphones still in contract period, so it seems that vodafone are the onlky network to be doing this, it seems i may have to take this matter further, as i seem to be ripped off and forced into a product that i do not want!

Just spoken to o2, and they dont have an issue with unlocking iphones still in contract period, so it seems that vodafone are the onlky network to be doing this, it seems i may have to take this matter further, as i seem to be ripped off and forced into a product that i do not want!

You did want it as you took out a contract with vodafone and the handset was part of the deal.
Vodafone will have subsidised the handset cost so it makes sense for them to keep it restricted to their network.