What's new

Apple’s Plans for Quad-Core Chips Revealed by iOS 5.1 Beta

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
quad_core.JPG

9to5 Mac has discovered that the latest iOS 5.1 beta contains updated processing-core management software that as well as supporting dual-core processing, as with the A5 chip used in the iPhone and iPad, also supports quad-core processing. According to 9to5 Mac, the evidence of quad-core processing support is hidden behind a secret panel that details cores that iOS device hardware supports. One of the available options is “/cores/core.3/, “ which 9to5 Mac says translates to a fourth available processing core. According to 9to5 Mac’s sources, who are very familiar with iOS, core references start at “0”, so core.3 would mean quad-core. 9to5 Mac even presents evidence comparing pre-iOS 5.1 beta iOS core management software and the most recent iOS 5.1 beta. The screenshot clearly shows the dual-core A5 chip denoted as “core.1”, and the quad-core chip marked “core.3”. 9to5 Mac goes on to explain that the significance of the quad-core chips being involved with iOS 5.1 beta is the fact that they believe that the third generation iPad and an unreleased iPhone 5.1 are both being tested with iOS 5.1, which could mean that both devices will have a quad-core processor, possibly the A6.

Source: iOS 5.1 beta reveals Apple’s plan to soon ship iPads, iPhones with quad-core chips | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Wow. It'd be really neat to see the A6 in the next gen iPad. I wonder if it's been tested enough to be released for prime time use? :D

This makes no sense what so ever! Why put out a Dual Core iPhone and make the next Gen quad? Apple would be acting just like Android. (Pushing out crap to satisfy the masses) I would be really surprised if IOS 5.1 had anything quad core related. We hardly have anything to use the dual core for a t this point.

This makes no sense what so ever! Why put out a Dual Core iPhone and make the next Gen quad? Apple would be acting just like Android. (Pushing out crap to satisfy the masses) I would be really surprised if IOS 5.1 had anything quad core related. We hardly have anything to use the dual core for a t this point.

I have no idea what dual core or quad gen is. So the news article went right over my head 😉

iHolophyte

Why wouldn't you release a quad core if you have the ability? Each update should be incrementally better. I don't see how this is doing anything like Android.

We barely have any apps that require dual core to run them, now with a quad core on the horizon, why would anyone want a phone the is inferior to it's successor? When I say it almost like Android, I mean before we experience the benefits of dual core, now quad is in the works for the next IOS update? It makes no sense. Maybe IOS 6, but IOS 5.1? The Android comparison was wrong on my part. I just hate how they put out a new flagship phone every 2 months. Gets me irritated enough to the point of instead of getting the Razr, I went with the 4S cause Apple to me proved to be very polished and more sophisticated. I hope they are no turning into their counterpart.

Why wouldn't you release a quad core if you have the ability? Each update should be incrementally better. I don't see how this is doing anything like Android.

Yea, but really? Dual core comes out in time for IOS 5 and quad core for 5.1? That is a bit ridiculous. Especially since we have yet the necessity for dual core in any apps out there right now. It sure isn't for the multitasking.

Quad core for IOS 6 I can deal with, but for 5.1 seems too far fetched. But makes a good article. We'll see it it's true soon enough

I think it's good. Apple is coming out with a quad core when nobody has it. Nothin wrong with that

There are a thousand other post that people are chatting about on the forum, why comment if you don't know what we are talking about? It just makes these threads turn into a random chat rather than the subject it started as.

If apple is going to release a quad core phone they will make sure it's not like a android phone.