What's new

(Apple Map's) Siri silent while Amazon Music app running

Reaction score
This problem is new since I updated IOS from v11.3.1 to 12.4.3 (yes, in one fell swoop) on my 5S and, at essentially the same time, upgraded the Amazon Music app from ?? version (I didn't note the version #) to the current version (9.1.4.9898).

Problem statement: When listening to Amazon Music, Siri no longer gives Apple Maps directions. Instead, when Siri would give directions I instead get a two-tone sound (sorta like a traditional doorbell ding-dong).

When running any other app than the Amazon Music app, for example, the Pandora app, the Spotify app, or the Apple music app, Siri correctly 'intrudes' with driving directions as it has always done.

I cannot find a setting that appears to control this in Amazon Music settings or Apple Maps setting, although maybe I did not look in the right place.

I welcome any suggestions for troubleshooting this.

scifan57, thank you for the reply.

I have not contacted Amazon about this because:
1. I thought perhaps it was an issue of user ignorance (not knowing where to find the setting); and
2. Amazon tech support is really, really, really frustrating to deal with, in my experience. So, that's a last resort.

But, I agree that it does have the feel of a bug (or, new default/setting that I can't easily find).

Have you tried going to Siri under settings and then scroll down to the Amazon music app and see if there is a setting that may not be turned on? Worth a shot anyhow.
933, thanks for the reply.

When I go to Settings -> Siri & Search -> Amazon Music, I see two settings:

Siri & Suggestions (which is, and has been, enabled)
Allow on Lock Screen (is, and has been, enabled)

About an hour ago I thought to do this test: With Amazon Music playing a song, I used Google Maps for directions. The Google Maps voice (correctly) interrupted Amazon Music with directions, when appropriate.

I realize this test does not definitely isolate the issue to any particular app, but it suggests a workaround that I find infinitely more attractive than inviting yet another Dilbertesque experience with Amazon tech support: I will use Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.

Thanks again for your replies, Friends.

Reactions: 933
scifan57, thank you for the reply.

I have not contacted Amazon about this because:
1. I thought perhaps it was an issue of user ignorance (not knowing where to find the setting); and
2. Amazon tech support is really, really, really frustrating to deal with, in my experience. So, that's a last resort.

But, I agree that it does have the feel of a bug (or, new default/setting that I can't easily find).

It's frustrating because they aren't the best coders or technicians and this spills over into their support department

zstairlessone, right.

Having witnessed how quality works from the inside of a different large company, I think the root cause is Amazon's prioritization of cost vs quality (of both product and support). In other words, I don't blame the support technicians, even though I find my experience with them frustrating.

FWIW (in case someone else has been experiencing this problem), the problem went away within the past week, although I am not sure which update (Maps, Apple Music, IOS) fixed it.