What's new

Apple Launches iOS 8.0.2 to Make Up for 8.0.1 Fiasco; New Update Still Has Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ios-802-update-stuff.jpg

To say Apple's launch of their latest iOS 8 update hasn't gone very smoothly is an understatement. One of the worst possible outcomes occurred from the iOS 8.0.1 update: it stopped cellular connectivity (as well as TouchID functionality). This lead Apple to issue an apology and crank out a quick 8.0.2 update, which they have begun pushing out today.

Ironically, most of the issues with the 8.0.1 update occurred on the newest Apple device, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. According to Apple, less than 40,000 iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus devices were affected by the trouble. That is still a significant number of unhappy customers with new iPhone 6 variants which are basically useless without rolling back to the previous iOS 8.

Sadly, all is not rainbows and unicorns yet in iOS update land. There are already reports in Australia of users still experiencing the same issues, even with iOS 8.0.2. It doesn't look as wide-spread as the 8.0.1 update problems, but we can't imagine Apple is too thrilled about it.

You might consider waiting to update until after Apple has completely ironed out all of the bugs.

Oddly, I never experienced any of this. I had some strange stuff happen with the keyboard in certain apps, but that's it.

Yeah I haven't had any issues either. I might wait a bit on the newest updated, otherwise I'm a pretty happy customer.

I use Swype and the keyboard switching has been quite annoying. I'll hold off on updating for a bit though.

Also the Swype keyboard causes text messages to show not the bottom of your history but kind of a bit up from the bottom. So if you go to a message you have to scroll down to get to the bottom before typing your reply, if you want to see what's there at least.

I'm going to wait a couple of days or so.

I use Swype and the keyboard switching has been quite annoying. I'll hold off on updating for a bit though.

Also the Swype keyboard causes text messages to show not the bottom of your history but kind of a bit up from the bottom. So if you go to a message you have to scroll down to get to the bottom before typing your reply, if you want to see what's there at least.

A much as I looked using Swype on my GNEX I've quit using it on my 5c. The reason I'd that for me when is go to reply to a text the keyboard would hide the text input window an I couldn't see what I was typing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

With IOS 8.0.2 I still cannot send sms/mms messages to friends & family that don't use the iMessage service.

From Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With IOS 8.0.2 I still cannot send sms/mms messages to friends & family that don't use the iMessage service.

From Australia.

Make sure that send text as message is turned on as this allows other phones to receive your messages

Make sure that send text as message is turned on as this allows other phones to receive your messages
The function 'send as sms' has been removed from the new 8.0.2 update.

I have the option to "Send as SMS" on my phone running iOS 8.0.2. The option is located in your Settings app under the "Messages" line:

quve7umu.jpg

If you don't have that option as shown in my picture, may I suggest you contact your phone carrier. There may be other things you need to do.

Marilyn

I have the option to "Send as SMS" on my phone running iOS 8.0.2. The option is located in your Settings app under the "Messages" line:

quve7umu.jpg

If you don't have that option as shown in my picture, may I suggest you contact your phone carrier. There may be other things you need to do.

Marilyn

By any chance has the option to 'send as sms' been removed for updates to IOS 8.0.2 for iPad?

My issue is that photos has changed. Now the most recent are easily displayed and useable for wallpaper.

I don't need Apple to choose my useable photos for me. I want back access to all my photos.

One other thing I've always wanted was to move a photo to a new folder. Had that with the Samung Sync. But the iPhone only lets you copy it. So if you want to delete it from Photos, it deletes from the new folder. Ugh!

My issue is that photos has changed. Now the most recent are easily displayed and useable for wallpaper.

I don't need Apple to choose my useable photos for me. I want back access to all my photos.

One other thing I've always wanted was to move a photo to a new folder. Had that with the Samung Sync. But the iPhone only lets you copy it. So if you want to delete it from Photos, it deletes from the new folder. Ugh!
All your photos are there. Go to the photos app. Tap on "photos" at the bottom. Tap the pics there until you get Moments. All you photos are there in Moments. They are organized by dates.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5