What's new

Apple iPhone 5 Release Date Has To Come

I don't think It would have larger screen... as per apple policy

If the rumors of an 1920x1080 display for the iPhone5 are true, Apple may have to increase the screen size.

If the display were not larger, everything would be far too small for a positive user experience.

I see Apple trying to keep icons and text proportionally the same size despite the much higher resolution, while also maintaining a high DPI

Technarchy said:
If the rumors of an 1920x1080 display for the iPhone5 are true, Apple may have to increase the screen size.

If the display were not larger, everything would be far too small for a positive user experience.

I see Apple trying to keep icons and text proportionally the same size despite the much higher resolution, while also maintaining a high DPI

Apple will NOT increase the resolution. We developers will have to completely redesign their apps. The screen size is going to increase, but the resolution wont. Definitely not full HD.

And it's not DPI. It's ppi.

Apple will NOT increase the resolution. We developers will have to completely redesign their apps. The screen size is going to increase, but the resolution wont. Definitely not full HD.

Cool, thanks for the description on that. That makes sense about the change on resolution and how it would affect the apps. I never thought about that. But would definitely make things more difficult.

I would disagree with that. I don't think they can avoid going to a 4" screen. Or at least a 3.75" screen.

darweshs said:

Upping the screen without upping the resolution would result in reduced display quality.

I can't see apple going backward from Retina Display.

As a company they put a lot of emphasis on display quality.

^^^^^ I agree ^^^^

Making the screen bigger is pretty pointless. You may as well just get a tablet is you want bigger.

Some of these phones these days look just ridiculous in peoples hands. You may as well be Zack Morris from saved by the Bell.

^^^^^ I agree ^^^^

Making the screen bigger is pretty pointless. You may as well just get a tablet is you want bigger.

Some of these phones these days look just ridiculous in peoples hands. You may as well be Zack Morris from saved by the Bell.
I totally agree. The 3.9" phones look ridiculous in people's hands. The hand isn't comfortable that wide. I don't think size needs to change at all in iPh5. Get a tablet for bigger experience.

illmatic636 said:
^^^^^ I agree ^^^^

I think iP5 will have both a larger screen and HD display.

3.9" is what I am guessing.

I just don't see Apple conceding display quality and innovation to Samsung. It would be unbecoming of Apple because they are industry leading for displays on their other devices.

The iPad3 will get a huge boost in display tech, and I expect the same from the iPhone.

Love the speculations. Keep 'em coming! I'm anxious for both the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5, each of which I will get now that have a nice litte windfall headed my way in the next few weeks or so. Will give my iPhone 4S to my sister and my iPad 2 to my mom.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Apples said before that they prize their developers most. Yes, judging only by their quality standards, it makes sense to improve res, but imagine them forcing a couple hundred thousand developers totally remake over 600k apps it just makes no sense.

Love the speculations. Keep 'em coming! I'm anxious for both the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5, each of which I will get now that have a nice litte windfall headed my way in the next few weeks or so. Will give my iPhone 4S to my sister and my iPad 2 to my mom.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net
me too. i'm always person #1 in line at the King of Prussia Mall store near Philly PA the first day of any new iPhone's release. ever since the original iphone that i paid $600 for and then they dropped the price by $200 2 months later and pissed off a lot of us - and then only gave us store credit to be used by november - which they also didn't tell us the 'run out' date of the rebate.

every june since then(or september for the 4s) i've been the first one in Philly to have the newest iphone in my hands. in our area they never ship the "pre-orders" before the people waiting at the stores in Philly and Pittsburgh get their phones after having waited in line. i've not been #1 in line for ipads. but iphones - yes.

Apples said before that they prize their developers most. Yes, judging only by their quality standards, it makes sense to improve res, but imagine them forcing a couple hundred thousand developers totally remake over 600k apps it just makes no sense.
yes. there's virtually no way they'll make the screen any larger just to keep ahead of samsung. and samsung's not sporting anything near "retina display" level on their 3.9" either. and we already have "hd". not sure why anyone's saying we don't. hd 1080p is one of the defining aspects of the iphone 4s.

pianoman said:
yes. there's virtually no way they'll make the screen any larger just to keep ahead of samsung. and samsung's not sporting anything near "retina display" level on their 3.9" either. and we already have "hd". not sure why anyone's saying we don't. hd 1080p is one of the defining aspects of the iphone 4s.

1. The current i4S does not have an HD display. HD is 1280 x 720 = 921,600 for 720p, or 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 for 1080p

This has zero to do with cameras.

The i4S is 960 x 640 = 614,400, which is sub HD by a huge margin. When iPhone 4 was released it was the best in the business by far.

2. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus features a true 720p display 1280 x 720 = 921,600 and is also super AMOLED. It's a damn nice display that is also 4.6" which makes the PPI just a bit lower than the i4S.

I don't see Apple conceding the smartphone display crown since this is what they do better than anyone else.

Unleashed said:
same ^^

I cant wait for the ip5 either as my ip4 is taking ages to load some games and of course no siri but hopefully by the time the 5 is released siri will be out of beta

iPhone 4S is quite fast with the new A5 chip.

Sent from my 64gb iPad