What's new

Apple Care or Asurian Insurance for iPhone5?

cuskit

Reaction score
Okay - purchased my phone from a Verizon store on opening day (Sept. 21). They convinced me to add the Asurian insurance to my phone, though I balked at the pricing: $11.95 per month with a $175.00 deductible. Yikes! But they said if I lost or broke the phone I'd be paying $850 for a replacement (64 gig black model). They said I can drop the insurance anytime I want.

Okay, my question is this - I've just learned that I can add Apple Care within 30 days of purchase, so I've got 2 weeks left to make this decision. Do I purchase Apple Care and drop the Asurian or keep both? I'm not sure which is better, but I can say I feel the Asurian coverage premium is outrageous! I believe though they do cover loss or theft while Apple Care covers only accidental breakage (two claims only). Is this for the life of the phone, or just one or two years?

What's the best thing to do here? I am a tradesman - I use my phone in a cabinet shop daily and am on the job installing a lot - more chance of accidental breakage than say, an office worker. I do know I'd hate to have to shell out $850 (with tax that's almost nine bills)! Kinda like I can't afford not to have insurance, but also can't afford to have both.

Help???

cuskit said:
Okay - purchased my phone from a Verizon store on opening day (Sept. 21). They convinced me to add the Asurian insurance to my phone, though I balked at the pricing: $11.95 per month with a $175.00 deductible. Yikes! But they said if I lost or broke the phone I'd be paying $850 for a replacement (64 gig black model). They said I can drop the insurance anytime I want.

Okay, my question is this - I've just learned that I can add Apple Care within 30 days of purchase, so I've got 2 weeks left to make this decision. Do I purchase Apple Care and drop the Asurian or keep both? I'm not sure which is better, but I can say I feel the Asurian coverage premium is outrageous! I believe though they do cover loss or theft while Apple Care covers only accidental breakage (two claims only). Is this for the life of the phone, or just one or two years?

What's the best thing to do here? I am a tradesman - I use my phone in a cabinet shop daily and am on the job installing a lot - more chance of accidental breakage than say, an office worker. I do know I'd hate to have to shell out $850 (with tax that's almost nine bills)! Kinda like I can't afford not to have insurance, but also can't afford to have both.

Help???

For $850 you can buy a new iPhone without a contract!

Get the apple care+ and drop the overpriced carrier crap, I just did the same a last week.

" For $850 you can buy a new iPhone without a contract! " I completely fail to understand how this has any relevance to my question...

kd7irm: Can you explain why you decided to keep just the Applecare? Does it cover loss or theft? And how long is the coverage? TIA! :)

mike

Okay, my question is this - I've just learned that I can add Apple Care within 30 days of purchase,
Help???

If I remember I was solicited by Apple to buy the Apple care plan when my one year warranty was about to expire which I did and my iphone 4 home button was getting a bit slow to respond and on the 23rd month I took the phone to Apple and they have replaced it with a new one, so I guess the Apple care investment was worth it. Regarding insurance, I include it with my home insurance which is cheaper than nearly $12 per month.

Apple care can be honored only if you are in an area with an apple store, or you can send it to apple and be with out a phone for a while, (if so happens you have to use it). I have chosen the Asurian Insurance through Verizon cause they treat me pretty well. I am never with out a phone. Plus the nearest apple store of over 300 miles away from me. I do not want to be with out a phone even for a day. This is the only reason i choose the insurance. If i had an apple store near by i would def choose the Apple care plus. Ohhh if you choose apple care get the plus and not the regular. The Plus is the one that covers accidental damage.

Hmm. Looks like the Applecare gets the vote. They have done away with the "one year" - you do have to purchase within 30 days. I live within 15 miles of an Apple store so that's no issue. So, I'm dropping the Asurian and going with Applecare, just going to try and be VERY careful not to lose it or have it stolen. I do go to NYC a lot - and the iPhone is the most often stolen phone out there...

Also will check Tuesday with my homeowners to see what the additional coverage would cost to include my phone as well as exactly what is covered and the deductible. Googling I've found many who use their homeowners, but none have stated if there is a deductible with that. Thanks for the input to date!

Remember to get the AppleCare+, the plus is the important part as it adds the "accidents" coverage. In my mind the only thing you really lose is the theft/loss coverage but I think with things properly set up with Find my iPhone, Apple has covered that as well. ( did you see the news story of the TSA fella who tried to keep an iPad from someone's screened carry on, lol)

Sounds like your close to an apple store so that is not an issue, but for me I am as close to an apple store as I am a Verizon corp store, and over night shipping is not possible in my location, FedEx does not deliver past the pavement, lol. So for me sending it in or driving to a store is not any different than what would have to happen through Verizon.

Cost is a major factor in the choice as well, through Verizon you pay $10 a month x two years plus $170 per accident, $410.00 total if used and $240.00 if never used. AppleCare+ is $99 for two years and a full replacement from damage is $50, $199.00 if used and $99 if never used. As you can see AppleCare+ is more economical and in my mind why not get the coverage from the experts instead of second hand. Keeping both would not be worth just getting the theft/loss coverage and as you mentioned it may be covered under renters or homeowners insurance.

Hope this helps and it sounds like your on the right track, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Oops...... that's $580 total if you used the asurion through Verizon. And if you have an iPhone 5 you will pay almost $12 a month instead of the $10 for a 4 or 4s.

Also when I was in the store adding the applecare+ I asked what rugged case apple would recommend, they suggested defender from otter box or the life force. I already had an otter box on mine so I picked up 2 more for my kids iPhones as well. So with three otter boxes and AppleCare + on them I'm still below the cost of one phone covered and used from asurion.

Side note, apple stores do not carry otter box or life force, your best bet is a verizon store, online, or Walmart now carries a large selection of otter box defenders for the 4, 4s, and the 5.

Ok Ok I will shut up now! Lol :)

kd - I do appreciate all your input! I did purchase a cover that Verizon had the day I got my phone - they didn't have much choices. Just covers the back and two sides. I'll look into the otter box and life force since I would like more protection than what I have now. And yes - I'm picking up the Applecare (+)! :)

I purchased the AppleCare + plan for my iPhone 5 when I ordered it from the Apple store.

Last edited:
I messed up and wrote life force but should have said lifeproof. Otterbox has a similar wterproof case coming out soon but no release date yet.

If you just need the case and not the clip and need to be able to take it off regularly to use certain accessories like the workout armbands and such, Otterbox has a case called the "reflex", you may want to check that one out as well, I've never used it but it looks neat.

cuskit said:
" For $850 you can buy a new iPhone without a contract! " I completely fail to understand how this has any relevance to my question...

kd7irm: Can you explain why you decided to keep just the Applecare? Does it cover loss or theft? And how long is the coverage? TIA! :)

mike
To me apple care would be better because theft or loss has never happened to me and assuming either happens under the condition that the phone remains powered on, I can locate it using the "Find My iPhone" app. But I usually don't do either. I do square trade. You can do it for 3 years for $124 and it covers the exact same thing apple care does. Plus, if you were to need to do a claim and it were to happen to be close to the unveiling of the next iPhone, square trade gives you the option of getting a new phone, or taking the full retail cash value of the phone, which you could use to buy the newer model out of contract.

For example...say a year from now you were to drop your phone in water, and maybe you know that a month from that time apple will be coming out with the "iPhone 6". You could take the $850 that your phone is worth in cash from the insurance claim, and buy the new "iPhone 6" at full retail price out of contract. This is of course assuming that, as previous trends have been, apple's new phone is the exact same price as the old phone was at it's launch date.