What's new

Annoying

Wayne Gregory Smith

Reaction score
Why is that airplane mode button, top left, there at all? It’s so easy to accidentally switch it n use. It means missing calls and texts. When someone, like myself has serious health problems, apparently won’t reply, it worries family members. Just 2 taps on screen can select airplane mode, why have this button?

Why is that airplane mode button, top left, there at all? It’s so easy to accidentally switch it n use. It means missing calls and texts. When someone, like myself has serious health problems, apparently won’t reply, it worries family members. Just 2 taps on screen can select airplane mode, why have this button?

Airplane mode is in the Control Centre. You don’t need to access it to answer incoming calls.

I have a very thin case on my iPhone XR which has a small cutout for the switch, and you have to use a fingernail to switch it on/off. I’ve never experienced the ‘Airplane’ mode accidentally switching on.

Are you using a case or just the bare phone?. If you have no case, I would strongly suggest you try one.

That switch in the upper left is the ring/silent switch and has nothing to do with Airplane Mode. When activated the phone will vibrate instead of ringing. You may want to get in the habit of checking that switch whenever you’re using your iPhone to make sure that the red warning band is not showing.

Quite right scifan57, the OP had me confused by using the term ‘Airplane Mode’ and not Silent Switch, which I should have realised.
My comment about using a good case still stands.

I’m talking about turning off the ringer by accident

The button you are referring to is the Mute switch. It is very useful when you are in a meeting for instance. Airplane mode only shuts off radio signals.