What's new

Help! iPhone won't connect to mobile network! (3)

Atl4ntica

Reaction score
Hey!
I own a jailbroken iPhone 3gs.

Anyway, yesterday I dropped it (it was only a small fall) in school and when I picked it up and fiddled with the buttons it wouldn't work, so I thought it was broken. However, about an hour later (I was fiddling with it again) I managed to get it working; it turned out it wasn't lighting up because it was after being turned off by the fall). My power button can be a bit dodgy at times!

Everything went fine then, I had full reception and 3G internet, up until I went home.

I always had low data connection at my house (3G only works in my kitchen!) but reception was never a problem. Yesterday though when I went home, I took my phone out of my pocket to realise that it said "No Service". It then changed for a few seconds to "Searching..." and then back to "No Service". This is happening continuously since! I cannot send texts or anything because it's not connecting to my mobile network! I've had no problems like this before..

Today, I left my house, went down town and I checked my phone again. It worked perfectly, I had 3G and everything! Then when I returned home, the same thing happened - "No Service" and "Searching..."

I am baffled as to why this is happening. I don't understand why it won't connect at my house, but it will when I'm somewhere else?
I have tried turning on and off airplane mode, doing a hard reset and resetting network settings, but nothing is working!

Help would be much appreciated on helping me solve this problem.

Thank you!
Jessica

Sounds like is something wrong with ur network provider in ur area ... Give them a ring and see what is wrong in ur area

I'll check it out but I think it may be the phone because everyone else's phones work okay in my house..

They're not, but I don't think its 3 because it works when I am down town, which is only five minutes away so shouldn't the reception be carried up to my estate from there?

Maybe your antenna was damaged and now only works with stronger signals. It may no longer be capable of connecting with the weaker signal at your home.

Maybe your antenna was damaged and now only works with stronger signals. It may no longer be capable of connecting with the weaker signal at your home.

Can this be fixed at a repair shop?

Atl4ntica said:
Can this be fixed at a repair shop?

I'm sure a repair is technically possible, but it would make economic sense to put the cost of repair towards a newer phone, unless the phone is still under a warranty like AppleCare+, that covers accidental damage.

I'm sure a repair is technically possible, but it would make economic sense to put the cost of repair towards a newer phone, unless the phone is still under a warranty like AppleCare+, that covers accidental damage.

...in which case I'd "accidentally damage it" and take it back

I had this issue when I got my 4s. I didn't drop it or anything, but my service and data would randomly go to No Service. I got fed up with this after a week and went to the Apple store and got it replaced. They couldn't tell me what was wrong with it though, but my guess is that there was something wrong with the antenna. It probably would be best to see how much it would cost at a repair shop to see if it's worth it or get another phone.

tbh i would just attempt to replace the antenna yourself it anit very hard to get the iphones apart i have had the mrs one apart and got that working again