What's new

"An Update is available from your carrier"

hookbill

Reaction score
Just plugged my phone into iTunes and a message popped up saying "an update is availbable from your carrier."

Well, I'm with Verizon. I have no idea what the update was about but I accepted it. Also I don't know if this was on just iPhone 5 or all iPhones.

Just plugged my phone into iTunes and a message popped up saying "an update is availbable from your carrier."

Well, I'm with Verizon. I have no idea what the update was about but I accepted it. Also I don't know if this was on just iPhone 5 or all iPhones.

I remember getting those with my droid when Verizon would update their own app.

Not exactly. What Verizon would do would show an update for an app or possibly a new app that you probably had no interest in. It would push daily until you accepted.

iPhone, to the best of my knowledge doesn't have bloatware for Verizon alone. It may have been something as simple as updating your plr's. Probably something having to to do with the basic phone operation. Or maybe something else, nothing I could see.

Not exactly. What Verizon would do would show an update for an app or possibly a new app that you probably had no interest in. It would push daily until you accepted.

iPhone, to the best of my knowledge doesn't have bloatware for Verizon alone. It may have been something as simple as updating your plr's. Probably something having to to do with the basic phone operation. Or maybe something else, nothing I could see.

Got it! If you see any difference post and let us know. What is a plr?

New Android phones don't require it, and maybe iPhone might not either. PRL (not PLR, my bad) stands for preferred roaming list. You use to do it by dialing the phone activation number (I forgot what it is) and selecting option 2. Verizon recommended you do this monthly.

I posted to see if anyone else got this message. I don't think it's exclusive to me, if you're a Verizon person plug your phone into iTunes and see if you get that message.

PRL updates are deployed thru iTunes for the iPhone. On Android you can dial #228 and then press 2 to update.

Should you do that on iPhone I believe it will go thru the motions but I have no proof that it permanently updates the iPhone like the iTunes procedure does.

PRL updates are deployed thru iTunes for the iPhone. On Android you can dial #228 and then press 2 to update.

Should you do that on iPhone I believe it will go thru the motions but I have no proof that it permanently updates the iPhone like the iTunes procedure does.

And if that's the case that might have been what it was.

I don't know how Android is updated anymore, but you don't have to call it in anymore.

Skull One said:

Its *228 not #228

update for Verizon iphone 5, hook up to iTunes.

This evening an update is going out to Verizon iPhone 5 owners which resolves an issue where, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Its not sure how much data leaks or if Verizon will be offering refunds.

Another of our members mentioned this in his thread:http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-5-59/update-available-your-carrier-47209/

I am going to merge your post to his thread.

update for Verizon iphone 5, hook up to iTunes.

This evening an update is going out to Verizon iPhone 5 owners which resolves an issue where, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Its not sure how much data leaks or if Verizon will be offering refunds.

Thank you for posting. While I did see the update and accepted it I did not know that I was to reboot the phone. And yes, I could see where the phone would fall out of wifi and use data. Wasn't a concern for me as I still have unlimited but it's still important to update properly. Thanks for posting.

Just select Settings on your phone then General next About wait a second or two and follow the instructions