What's new

Update Carrier Settings T-Mobile

jimt29

Reaction score
iPhone 5 on T-Mobile - IOS 7.04 (Jailbroken)

I just connected the phone to iTunes and a message popped up "An Update to your Carrier Settings is available....".

Anybody know what this update from T-Mobile is all about?

I hate to update if its not necessary or might change something I might not want changed.

Jim

with jailbroken don't do the update

No. Carrier Setting updates are 110% safe to perform. They only overwrite the carrier setting portions of the system file. The update takes seconds to perform and does not check for a jailbreak. This is pushed out through the carrier, not by Apple.

OK. Just got another reminder and closed my eyes and pressed OK.

As long as you're not updating your iOS, you're fine. Even when your device's iOS is not the latest iOS (i.e if your device is on 7.0.4, and 7.1 is the latest iOS), you will have the option to choose to install either the carrier update only, or the iOS update only through iTunes. When the time comes, it's best to make sure you read the dialogue boxes when doing so. Some carriers allow for remote carrier updates by dialing a specific number (with wifi or data on) and it will update your carrier settings OTA.

For other readers, do not mistaken OTA carrier updates or carrier updates in general with iOS updates. They are two separate entities.