What's new

Alarm goes off at "wrong" time.

Bemused

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone4 for a month and love it, but am now really puzzled by the alarm. It has always been set to go at 07:00 on weekdays and has done that just fine until this morning. Here in the UK we shifted to winter time (GMT) this weekend and this morning (Monday) the phone had updated the time to GMT but no alarm at 07:00. The alarm was showing as set for 07:00 but nothing happened (not even at 06:00 which would have been the "old" 07:00), then it went off at 08:00!

I reset the alarm to go at 08:10 - it didn't. I then set it to go at 07:15 although the time was now 08:10, and it went at 08:15!

So the bottom line is that the phone went back 1 hour to GMT and the alarm went forward one hour.

I reset the phone, but same again. Anyone know what's happened here? Grateful for any comments.

Last edited:
I've had my iPhone4 for a month and love it, but am now really puzzled by the alarm. It has always been set to go at 07:00 on weekdays and has done that just fine until this morning. Here in the UK we shifted to winter time (GMT) this weekend and this morning (Monday) the phone had updated the time to GMT but no alarm at 07:00. The alarm was showing as set for 07:00 but nothing happened (not even at 06:00 which would have been the "old" 07:00), then it went off at 08:00!

I reset the alarm to go at 08:10 - it didn't. I then set it to go at 07:15 although the time was now 08:10, and it went at 08:15!

So the bottom line is that the phone went back 1 hour to GMT and the alarm went forward one hour.

I reset the phone, but same again. Anyone know what's happened here? Grateful for any comments.

I myself am finding the same problem

This is a know problem on iOS and we are hoping that it will be fixed in iOS 4.2. It's the same problem New Zeland and Australia have had for a while.

Thanks Pocobear.

Strange thing is my wife has exact same model and does not have the problem! Only difference is she's on O2 and I'm on Vodafone.

I am ok with my alarm clock (dst time zone just changed). So, it must be something to do with the ISP and not the actual iPhone itself, as you have experienced it with yours and your wife's.

Hi,
Im in Australia and have had my iPhone 4 for 3 days now, I too am having the same problem with the Alarm...

I am currently on Daylight savings time so our clocks are 1 hour ahead of time (so technically it is 6am no 7am) this could be why my alarm goes off at 6am when I have set it for 7am???) HOWEVER....

Can I ask if you guys have changed the name of your alarm ???
I ask this because for the alarms I have changed the name of from 'Alarm' to say 'Get ready for work' they seem to go off an hour earlier... however one of the alarms I left the name as 'Alarm' and it actually goes off at the time it is set to go off at... I will have a play around with the Alarm and let you know my findings lol.

After some playing around with the alarm this is what I have found.....

If I have it set to go off Monday - Friday it will go off an hour before it is supposed to
If I have it set to go off Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday same again
If I have it set to go off every Monday same again and so on...

However....

If I have it set to go off every day (Monday - Sunday) or dont have the alarm repeated at all the alarm will go off at the time it is set for....

** It also dont matter what you have the alarm called **

Strange I know... who knows how to fix that problem.... I hope it gives you an answer on why its happening with your alarms....

Easy solution... Set the alarm for everyday or just Dont repeat the alarm at all lol

We had same from last month in Australia Apple is aware of the issue and will provide a fix most likely with 4.2 upgrade due shortly.

We had same from last month in Australia Apple is aware of the issue and will provide a fix most likely with 4.2 upgrade due shortly.

Hi,
This might sound like a silly question but as im new to iPhones and am only just learning about them could you please tell me How do you get these upgrade? How much do they cost? and When do you know they are available ?
Thanks

It will be a free upgrade due in around 2,to 3 weeks you need to connect the phone to the computer and iTunes

Thanks all, seems we have the answer: use single alarms until the Apple update.

I've had my "4" for a few months now with no problems concerning the alarm. However, when I reset the time to go off at 7pm rather then 7:30, the alarm started going off at 6pm.

Interesting.

Delete all your alarms and make new ones. Editing old alarms won't work. I've got mines set for mon-sat with no problems since deleting my old one.

Deleting and making a new one didn't work. All the old ones still work OK but editing or making a new one didn't work for me. I have one alarm that I need to go off at 7:00pm each night so I set it to go off at 8:00 and it goes off at 7:00 - that sucks.