What's new

adding custom ringtone ... really?

garyj

Reaction score
First post here ... I tried searching for an answer before posting - I can't imagine it hasn't been covered - but I couldn't find anything so here goes ...

Created a custom ringtone for my wife's number in Audacity. Created an mp3 and an m4a (16 seconds long). I've been all over the internet trying to find out how to convert that to m4r and save in iTunes (PC - Win7). I've found the same solution several times, but it just won't work in my case. The closest I can get is a greyed-out version in Tones on my synched phone, but, of course, that doesn't play (or even show up as an option to select on my phone). I came over to Apple from the dark side and have been very happy until I encountered this ridiculousness. Surely I'm doing something wrong here ...

Gary

Bit more info ...

iTunes 12.1.1.4
IOS 8.2

First post here ... I tried searching for an answer before posting - I can't imagine it hasn't been covered - but I couldn't find anything so here goes ...

Created a custom ringtone for my wife's number in Audacity. Created an mp3 and an m4a (16 seconds long). I've been all over the internet trying to find out how to convert that to m4r and save in iTunes (PC - Win7). I've found the same solution several times, but it just won't work in my case. The closest I can get is a greyed-out version in Tones on my synched phone, but, of course, that doesn't play (or even show up as an option to select on my phone). I came over to Apple from the dark side and have been very happy until I encountered this ridiculousness. Surely I'm doing something wrong here ...

Gary
This is how I do it:

Creating Ringtones for iPhone in iTunes

1. You can use any mp3 song you already have.

2. Play a song and figure out which 15 second section you want to copy. Know the start and stop time in the song.

3. Right Click on the song, select GET INFO, OPTIONS, click the START & STOP times and enter the time you have already chosen, click OK.

4. Highlight it. Click ADVANCED, CREATE ACC VERSION.

5. A duplicate song will have been created with a 15 second length.

6. Go back to the original song and uncheck the start and stop times.

7. Drag and drop the newly created ACC version file to the desktop in a RINGTONE folder you created.

8. Highlight the file and change the extension from *.m4a to .m4r

9. Delete the 15 second song in iTunes, then drop the new *.m4r song into the LIBRARY column.

10. It should now show up under RINGTONES and you can sync it to your phone.

This is how I do it:

Creating Ringtones for iPhone in iTunes

1. You can use any mp3 song you already have.

2. Play a song and figure out which 15 second section you want to copy. Know the start and stop time in the song.

3. Right Click on the song, select GET INFO, OPTIONS, click the START & STOP times and enter the time you have already chosen, click OK.

4. Highlight it. Click ADVANCED, CREATE ACC VERSION.

5. A duplicate song will have been created with a 15 second length.

6. Go back to the original song and uncheck the start and stop times.

7. Drag and drop the newly created ACC version file to the desktop in a RINGTONE folder you created.

8. Highlight the file and change the extension from *.m4a to .m4r

9. Delete the 15 second song in iTunes, then drop the new *.m4r song into the LIBRARY column.

10. It should now show up under RINGTONES and you can sync it to your phone.

Thank you for the reply. That's the method I've seen elsewhere, but I get no results from that. Try to drop the new song in iTunes and it just stares back at me. Can't drag and drop, can't copy and paste ... nothing works. I could drag it straight to my synched phone in Tones, but it's greyed-out and won't work. That's as close as I got. After 4+ hours I ran out of options. I'm at a total loss. Obviously that method works for others, but not in my case.

Thank you for the reply. That's the method I've seen elsewhere, but I get no results from that. Try to drop the new song in iTunes and it just stares back at me. Can't drag and drop, can't copy and paste ... nothing works. I could drag it straight to my synched phone in Tones, but it's greyed-out and won't work. That's as close as I got. After 4+ hours I ran out of options. I'm at a total loss. Obviously that method works for others, but not in my case.

Hi, You are doing something wrong, do you have a folder for your tones? Then sync this folder with iTunes and it works, remember to erase the m4a version.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

Hi, You are doing something wrong, do you have a folder for your tones? Then sync this folder with iTunes and it works, remember to erase the m4a version.

Thank you, but I don't understand what you mean by a folder for my tones. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in any of the instructions that I read. How do I do that?

After you've changed the file extension (song.m4a to song.m4r), what happens if you just double-click on the .m4r file? iTunes should open...

Marilyn

Thank you, but I don't understand what you mean by a folder for my tones. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in any of the instructions that I read. How do I do that?

Its like with Your photos, if you have a folder for your tones you can sync them with iTunes, now with iTunes I can't drag the m4r file, that's why I sync my tones folder to my iPhone, and it works

After you've changed the file extension (song.m4a to song.m4r), what happens if you just double-click on the .m4r file? iTunes should open...

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Good question. When I double-click on the m4r file (desktop) it opens and plays in iTunes, but that's as close as I get to success. I've deleted the previous files (m4a and mp3) and just sits there blinking at me ...

Gotta give Michael's folder sync a try and see where that takes me.

Thanks!
Gary

Its like with Your photos, if you have a folder for your tones you can sync them with iTunes, now with iTunes I can't drag the m4r file, that's why I sync my tones folder to my iPhone, and it works

Michael,

I'm afraid I'm going to need the steps to sync a folder to my Tones folder. "It's like with your photos" - unfortunately I've never synched a photo folder either. I feel like such a noob with this stuff, but I have no idea. My ringtone future is in your hands ...

Gary

Michael,

I'm afraid I'm going to need the steps to sync a folder to my Tones folder. "It's like with your photos" - unfortunately I've never synched a photo folder either. I feel like such a noob with this stuff, but I have no idea. My ringtone future is in your hands ...

Gary

Ok, i Will try the easy way. In the iTunes folder, you have album artwork, iTunes media, previous iTunes libraries. You have it like this or similar.

Clic on iTunes media and you see differents folders. Downloads, home videos, iTunes U, mobile applications, music, TONES, tv shows etc.

Add you tones in the tones folder.

Go to iTunes clic add to library. And you add you tone. Connect your device. Clic on the left side tones, and you will see all the tones from your library, clic sync selected tones or all the tones. And sync your device.

And that's it, hope you understand now.

All the best

Just download a ringtone app.

From the app it will allow you to choose your point in the song and save then hook it up to iTunes. Sync and done. It's that simple rather than doing the long winded ways above.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Ok, i Will try the easy way. In the iTunes folder, you have album artwork, iTunes media, previous iTunes libraries. You have it like this or similar.

Clic on iTunes media and you see differents folders. Downloads, home videos, iTunes U, mobile applications, music, TONES, tv shows etc.

Add you tones in the tones folder.

Go to iTunes clic add to library. And you add you tone. Connect your device. Clic on the left side tones, and you will see all the tones from your library, clic sync selected tones or all the tones. And sync your device.

And that's it, hope you understand now.

All the best

Well, it didn't QUITE work out for me the way you showed it (or at least how I understood it), but I did finally figure this thing out. In iTunes, under File, Edit, View, Controls, Store, Help are symbols for Music, Movies, TV Shows, then three dots (...) which symbolize additional folders. Clicking on those dots dropped a menu which contained Tones (among other things). When I clicked on Tones, viola! ... there was my ring tone! I dragged it from there to my synched phone symbol, dropped it in and it worked! Just downloaded another tone and it showed up in the same place. Followed the same procedure and that one worked too! I'm in ringtone heaven!

Thank you to all who contributed on this journey of enlightenment (and especially you Michael)!

Gary