What's new

Adding a custom ringtone

qwerty78

Reaction score
Never bothered with custom ringtones before. I came across a cute ringtone I'd like to import into the iphone's ringtone folder. The sound was an mp3 which I have converted to .mbr The mbr sound plays, it's not faulty.

How do I bring it into itunes then into the phone's ringtone folder?

Attempts so far are not getting me anywhere.

thanks.

I'm not sure what format .mbr is but it needs to be in the .m4r format. I'm pretty sure .m4r is just .m4a with the file extension changed.

I created my ringtones from shortened .m4a files and changing the extension.

sorry. Yes, m4r is the extension. But how do you get it from my PC to the phone?
I am itunes illiterate.
instruction says put it in the itunes library (step one)
I tried itunes>file>add file to library> but nothing happens!

sorry. Yes, m4r is the extension. But how do you get it from my PC to the phone?
I am itunes illiterate.
instruction says put it in the itunes library (step one)
I tried itunes>file>add file to library> but nothing happens!
Connect phone to PC ..navigate to tones on iTunes and drag them from PC to tones on iTunes

If it is an .mp3 it should be pretty easy. First check in iTunes settings that you have it setup to import files when adding them to your library and setup to import as .m4a.

Now you can just drag the .mp3 into iTunes and it will be a new song but it will be converted to the .m4a format.

Now, in control panel change to view file extensions (not knowing which Windows version you have I can't tell you how).

Go to your Apple iTunes directory (where all your music, movies etc are) and move it to the ringtone directory from your music directory.

Now it will show up under ringtones and you can sync it to your iPhone

...I completely lost you after you said "it should be pretty easy." (LOL) Wish I knew how to do this stuff. I would love to make some ring tones for my phone.