What's new

Activating an iPhone 4S with my friends sim temporarily

Sonic911

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I live in India and i have a friend in Us who just is willing to buy me an iPhone 4S from there.He already has an iPhone with at&t contract.

Now my question is whether he can use his sim to activate my new (iPhone 4S AT&T )and remove it so that it will be activated and again use it in his old iPhone as usual without having any problem so that I can use it as an iPod here for sometime and again sell it to someone in US or unlock it (ofcourse wait after unlock arrives).

I aleady posted here with a different idea...now I got this one....

Any help is welcome.

Just buy a prepaid SIM card and unlock it there to be safe...

i have a doubt....if everyone can do this .....why is there a two year contract.....any sim of them(at&t) is gonna work....so you can just use it without paying 2year postpaid fee......
and just have an iphone for 200$....thats fun...why pay 500$......

and thanks for the reply

Thanks a lot....and can I connect it to itunes in my comp in India ...so that i can copy songs,vids...
or if I did so....will my phone be locked...

and will I be able to unlock it later in India....I mean without the at&t network....there is no at&t in India

There probably wont be an iPhone4S unlock for a long time, but yes you can copy music and videos etc to use it as an iPod, but that's a pretty expensive iPod, why not just get an iPod Touch?

expensive....?? iPod sells for 200$ with A4 chip.....iphone sells for 200$ with A5 chip......

thanks a lot

AT&T will sell you a 4S for &199 because your friend will have to sign a 2 year contract. So he could go buy it and sell it toyou, but he's still gotta pay for AT&T service for 2 more years.

^^What he said. It might be cheaper initially, but after he pays $90/month for 2 years for the contract he has to sign to get an A5 iPhone at that price, you would have been able to buy 12 iPod Touches

Why cant I Throw the sim I get in phone and buy a prepaid AT&T sim....and use it to just get my phone working.....thats what it means by carrier locked....i.e use it only with at&t....and it doesnt mean I must sign a two year contract to get it working.....The only benefit of contract is you get your phone unlocked after 2 years.....which if you cant get officially when you use a prepaid sim..(ofcourse unlock will come soon...trusting pod2g)
iPhone 4S for 199+ 10(maybe) $ for getting it as an ipod without 2year contract.....

You can get it unlocked after paying your first bill if contract not sure in us but in the uk it's that way

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Any idea if AT&T can do that in US. They did help us to unlock my son window phone before we did his upgrade to new window phone:)